If pet hair is piling up in drifts along your baseboards or swirling through your rooms like dust every time the air conditioner kicks on, then performing a little after-the-fact hair cleanup may not be enough to solve your pet hair problems. This is especially true when the seasons change and your pet's undercoat is adapting to warmer or cooler conditions. Your pet may be dropping hair like a nor'easter drops snow, and there's a good chance there's plenty more where that came from.
Dead coat is hair that's still in your pet's soft undercoat but not attached to his skin. When your pet is a big shedder, there's probably quite a bit of "dead coat" ready to drop onto your floors and furniture every time your pet turns around, sits down or -- breathes. Think of it as tomorrow's vacuuming project in the making. There's good news and bad news here: The bad news is that some pets can shed copious amounts of undercoat hair in spring and fall (but you probably already know that). The good news is that regular grooming can liberate dead coat pretty easily before it becomes a housecleaning nightmare.
These tips will help:
- The more you brush your pet, the more dead coat hair you'll be able to trap and dispose of -- before it makes it into your carpet.
- Consider vacuuming your pet. Yes, you can vacuum the hair right off your pet. Your cat may take offence at the indignity, but some dogs actually like being vacuumed, especially if you introduce them to a vacuum cleaning routine when they're young.
- Giving your pet a bath regularly will help loosen dead coat and make it easier to brush out.
- A deshedding tool can help loosen and remove hair that a brush or comb misses, so consider adding one to your pet grooming kit.
- Amazon. "FURminator deShedding Tool." (7/1/12). http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-Large-Yellow-deShedding-4-Inch/dp/B000FSN0A4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1341600630&sr=8-9&keywords=pet+shedding+blade
- Amazon. "Pet Hair Magnet." (7/1/12). http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Pet-Hair-Magnet-Yellow/dp/B0002DI4PI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341599909&sr=8-1&keywords=petmate+pet+hair+magnet
- Beliefnet. "Heloise Hints: Getting Rid of Pet Hair." (7/1/12). http://blog.beliefnet.com/heloisehints/2012/01/getting-rid-of-pet-hair-2.html
- Clean Green Simple. "Greener Every Week – Remove pet hair with a microfiber." 6/1/11. (7/1/12). http://cleangreensimple.com/2011/06/greener-every-week-remove-pet-hair-with-a-microfiber/
- Consumer Reports. "Canister Vacuum Cleaner Ratings & reliability." 2/2011. (7/1/12). http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/vacuum-cleaners/canister-vacuum-cleaner-ratings/ratings-overview.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Small Vacuum Cleaner Ratings & reliability." 2/2011. (7/1/12). http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/vacuum-cleaners/small-vacuum-ratings/ratings-overview.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Upright Vacuum Cleaner Ratings & Reliability." 2/2011. (7/1/12). http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/vacuum-cleaners/upright-vacuum-cleaner-ratings/ratings-overview.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Which vacuum is top dog at removing pet hair?" 2/17/10. (7/1/12). http://news.consumerreports.org/home/2010/02/westminster-dog-show-sadie-scottish-terrier-best-vacuums-for-pet-hair-carpets-dogs-cats-bissell-hoov.html
- DIY Network. "Pet Hair Removal." (7/1/12). http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/pet-hair-removal/8158.html
- Doctors Foster and Smith. "Pet Hair Magnet." (7/1/12). http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15560
- Dyas, Brie. "How to Get Rid of Pet Hair: Testing 7 Odd Ways." Shelter Pop. 9/14/11. (7/1/12). http://www.shelterpop.com/2011/09/14/pet-hair/
- Forte, Carolyn. "Best Tips for Getting Rid of Pesky Pet Hair." Good Housekeeping. 6/7/11. (7/1/12). http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-reviews/research-institute/clean-up-pesky-pet-hair
- GardenWeb. "Ways to control pet hair in my home." 11/30/08. (7/1/12). http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pets/msg1114345027672.html
- Light Green Stairs. "Count Up to Earth Day: Tip 8 Use Microfiber to Remove Pet Hair." 4/15/12. (7/1/12). http://lightgreenstairs.com/pets/count-up-to-earth-day-tip-8-use-microfiber-to-remove-pet-hair/
- The Dollar Stretcher. "Removing Pet Hair." (7/1/12). http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04sep20a.cfm
- TipNut. "Pet Hair Cleanup Tips (and Tricks)." 12/29/06. (7/1/12). http://tipnut.com/cat-dog-hair-cleanup-tips/
- Van Gerwen, Corinna. "7 products to get rid of pet hair." Canadian Living. 1/11/12. (7/1/12). http://m.canadianliving.com/life/pets/7_products_to_get_rid_of_pet_hair.php
- VPI Pet Insurance. "5 Best Vacuums for Pet Hair." (7/1/12). http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-owner-topics/5-Best-Vacuums-for-Pet-Hair.aspx
- What's New at Home. "Pet Hair Removal and Pet Hair-Resistant Furniture." 1/7/09. (7/1/12). http://whatsnewathome.wordpress.com/2009/01/07/dont-let-your-furniture-go-to-the-dogs/
HowStuffWorks finds out how often you should wash your coffee cup or mug to avoid germs.