Even though changing your bed sheets is a task that can be easily ignored, frequently laundering of linens is an essential part of a healthy and clean home. After a short period of time, bed sheets can become full of dust mites, skin cells and oil, all of which can cause allergies and respiratory problems to flare up. Consider the fact that the average mattress houses 10 million dust mites. A two-year-old pillow gains 10 percent of its weight from dead dust mites, their droppings and carcasses. Pretty gross! However, if you frequently wash your sheets, you can shield yourself from some of this nasty debris.
There are a couple of different schools of thought when it comes to washing bed sheets. Some people recommend that you wash them at least once every one to two weeks by using use detergent and water at a temperature of at least 77 degrees Fahrenheit (25 degrees Celsius) to kill all of the nasty dust mites that might be living in your sheets. Others think that if you take a shower before bed and don't sleep with any pets, you can go longer -- even up to a month -- without changing your sheets.
On the other hand, some people say that since you're shedding tons of skin cells every night, you should change your pillowcases every couple of days and your sheets once a week. Unlike some of the other categories of household cleanliness, washing sheets depends more on your lifestyle, schedule and personal preferences. As long as you're changing your sheets with a fair amount of frequency, you'll eliminate some of the yucky stuff that accumulates in your bed.
- Apartment Therapy. ( "How Often Do you Change Your Sheets." May 15, 2012). http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-often-do-you-change-your-s-140558
- Happy Living. "Cleaning the Kitchen." (May 15, 2012). http://www.happynews.com/living/kitchen-sink/cleaning-kitchen.htm
- LoveLifeStyle. "How Often Should You Wash Your Bedsheets." (May 15, 2012). http://www.lovelifestyle.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=133:how-often-should-you-wash-your-sheets&catid=5:health&Itemid=6
- McQuillan, Susan. How Often Should You Wash Your Sheets?" Quality Life. February 1, 2011. (May 15, 2012). http://www.qualityhealth.com/sleep-articles/how-often-should-you-wash-your-sheets
- OvenU. "How Often Should You Clean Your Oven." (May 24, 2012). http://www.ovenu.co.uk/how-often-should-you-clean-your-oven
- Real Simple. "Daily Cleaning Check List." (May 24, 2012). http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/daily-cleaning-checklist-00000000000953/index.html
- Real Simple. "The Worst Cleaning Jobs Made Easy." (May 24, 2012). http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/worst-cleaning-jobs-made-easy-00000000032847/index.html