Lots More Information
You may have spotted these insects in your home. But are they bad to have around? And how do you get rid of them?
Author's Note: 5 Methods to Keep Pests out of Your Townhome
I live in a condo that's been known to have some nasty creatures. It's in a densely populated urban area alongside a dirty river and adjacent to a bunch of long-term "renewal" projects. The building also has pretty high turnover, so there's always new neighbors who might be bringing in new things.
I'll spare you more details. I don't really want to think about it myself. And I'm glad I've (so far) escaped a lot of the experiences described in this article. But my homeowners association meetings should be on YouTube, they're so amusing. Like a parody of a reality show. Since they're not, I can assert first hand that petty bickering can put a stop to a lot of potential progress. Fortunately, unlike some townhouse complexes, owner consent is not required to treat pest infestations.
Nevertheless, my point holds true. If you're buying a condo or a townhouse, take a good luck around for evidence of pest damage. And maybe sit in on an HOA meeting (or two) to get a better sense of the place. You can get rid of pests more easily than you can get rid of your neighbors.
- Alliance for Healthy Homes. "Housing and Building Codes: Pest-Free." (July 24, 2012) http://www.afhh.org/pol/pol_housing_codes_pest-free.htm
- Cowleys Termite and Pest Services. "Pest Control for Property Managers NJ." (July 24, 2012) http://www.cowleys.com/multi-family-condominiums-townhomes
- Eden Advanced Pest Technologies. "Dorm Room Pest Control and Prevention." Sept. 14, 2011. (July 31, 2012) http://www.edenpest.com/blog/post/bed-bug-pest-control-pests-to-look-for-in-dorm-room
- Illinois Department of Public Health. "House Mouse Prevention and Control." (July 24, 2012) http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pchousemouse.htm
- Warner, Jennifer. "Foggers No Match For Bedbugs." WebMD. June 3, 2012. (June 24, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20120603/foggers-no-match-for-bedbugs