Lots More Information
What's in your typical can of bug spray? Find out how bug spray works at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: 5 Tips to Keep Ants Away from Pets
You'd think that, living in Southern California, my cats would have lots of problems with subtropical insects. Think again. It's such a dry area, even near the seashore, that there are much fewer insects here than I used to have to deal with when I lived on the east coast. The worst problem our cats have is fleas and for that we use periodic flea treatments. But ants aren't unknown in these parts and if ants ever invade our house and yard, I'm now armed with a set of tips for dealing with the problem and keeping the cats safe.
If we ever get fire ants, though, I'm buying a flame thrower. Just sayin'.
- Almost Heaven Gold Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary. "Protect Your Pet from Fire Ant Stings." (July 9, 2012) http://www.almostheaven-golden-retriever-rescue.org/fire-ant.html
- Amazon.com. "Ant-Free Bowl." (July 9, 2012) http://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Free-Bowl-Colors-Vary/dp/B0002AS1BI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1340137244&sr=1-1&keywords=cat+bowl+ants
- Amazon.com. "Frontline Plus." (July 9, 2012) http://www.amazon.com/Merial-Frontline-Control-88-Pound-Applicators/dp/B0002J1FOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1340156844&sr=1-1&keywords=frontline+plus
- Amazon.com. "Pet Armor Plus." (July 9, 2012) http://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Free-Bowl-Colors-Vary/dp/B0002AS1BI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1340137244&sr=1-1&keywords=cat+bowl+ants
- Askville.amazon.com. "What can I use to get rid of ants that is safe around my cats?" (July 9, 2012) http://askville.amazon.com/rid-ants-safe-cats/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2275396
- Riggs, Nathan L. "Protecting Penned Animals from Fire Ants." Texas A&M University. (July 9, 2012) http://fireant.tamu.edu/materials/factsheets_pubs/pdf/043_penned_animals.pdf
- Sherman, James. "How to Protect Your Pets from Fire Ants." Yahoo Voices. (July 9, 2012) http://voices.yahoo.com/how-protect-pets-fire-ants-2385377.html?cat=53