A typical home may have several different appliances that run on gas. Your clothes dryer, oven and hot water heater are a few. It isn't always a repair that leads people down the path of danger when dealing with gas. Sometimes, it may just be necessary to move the stove because of a floor tiling project or to move a dryer away from a wall that needs painting. Some homeowners feel like a hot water heater replacement is within the realm of their capabilities, and this is when accidents happen. Like water, gas will always find a leak. So while you may have done a good job in cutting off the gas supply line and moving the stove, you may not have been as careful when hooking it back up. The end result of what you thought was a simple fix could lead to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning -- something that kills more than 400 people per year in the United States alone [source: Medscape.com].
For other difficult DIY jobs you should stay away from, see some links below.
- "Asbestos." epa.gov. 2009. http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/
- "Carbon Monoxide Related Deaths, 1999 to 2004." http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/568660
- "Do it yourself or hire it out?" homeremodelingideas.net. 2009. http://www.homeremodelingideas.net/Blog/Post/Do-it-yourself-or-hire-it-out.aspx
- "Do-It-Yourself Home Repair: What You Should & Should Not Attempt." handyman-business.com. 2009. http://www.handyman-business.com/Do-It-Yourself-Home-Repair.html
- "Don't create your very own DIY emergency!" bucksfire.gov.uk. April 12, 2007. http://www.bucksfire.gov.uk/BucksFire/News/DontcreateyourveryownDIYemergency.htm
- "Renovate Your Home Safely." mass.gov, 2009. http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph/environmental/lead/lead_renovate.pdf
- "Should You Do it Yourself or Hire an Abatement Company?" asbestos.com. 2009. http://www.asbestos.com/abatement/do-it-yourself.php
- "Summer warning for amateur gardeners." voltimum.co.uk. October 6, 2004. http://www.voltimum.co.uk/news/1968/s/10-06-2004-Summer-warning-for-amateur-gardeners.html
- "Think Twice Before You Remodel." chuckmillerconstruction.com. 2009. http://www.chuckmillerconstruction.com/images/documents/Think%20Twice%20Before%20You%20Remodel.pdf
- Burdett, Jill. "Don't DIY your way into a fix." manchestereveningnews.co.uk. Auguest 25, 2004. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/property/advice/diy/s/128/128390_dont_diy_your_way_into_a_fix.html
- Truini, Joseph. "5 Household Tasks You Definitely Should Not Try Alone at Home." popularmechanics.com. June 18, 2008. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/how_to/4269228.html
Companies have rekindled the fire grenade, made it simple and nontoxic, and dubbed it the throwable fire extinguisher. Learn more at HowStuffWorks.