Lots More Information
Companies have rekindled the fire grenade, made it simple and nontoxic, and dubbed it the throwable fire extinguisher. Learn more at HowStuffWorks.
- How do motion-sensing lights and burglar alarms work?
- What's the best way to prevent a thief from entering your home?
- How Burglar Alarms Work
- How Lock Picking Works
- How Locks Work
- How a Panic Room Works
- How Combination Locks Work
- Curiosity Project: How can thieves steal your personal information?
- Home-Security Tips
- Lock Picking Quiz
- Curiosity Project: What do art thieves do with the art they steal?
More Great Links
- Bureau of Justice Statistics. "Percent of victimizations reported to the police, by type of crime and form of tenure." 1998 - 2004. (June 4, 2008)http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cvus/previous/cvus98.pdf
- Kraeutler, Tom. "Protect Your Home From Break-Ins During the Holidays." AOL Real Estate. (May 29, 2008)http://realestate.aol.com/article/improve/_a/protect-your-home-from-break-ins-during/20061117115309990001
- National Crime Prevention Council. "Burglary Prevention -- Facts and Statistics." Oct. 3, 2006. (May 29, 2008)http://www.ncpc.org/about/crime-prevention-month/2006-cpm-newspaper-supplement.pdf
- Olsen, Martha Stevenson. "Keeping Home Safe and Sound." The New York Times. Aug. 4, 2002. (May 29, 2008)http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A06E6DE1038F937A3575BC0A9649C8B63
- Sampson, Rana. "False Burglar Alarms." Office of Community Oriented Policing Services." 2001. (May 30, 2008)http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/pdf/e05021556.pdf
- Sullivan, Lara. "Burglaries on the Decline in the United States. NPR. March 11, 2008. (May 29, 2008)http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88074698
- The Washington Post. "Playing It Safe At Home." June 6, 2002.
- US Fed News Service. "Keep Doors, Windows Secure to Prevent Summer Home Burglaries." June 20, 2006.