Author's Note: How do throwable fire extinguishers work?
I don't think I'm alone in feeling a certain anxiety when it comes to handling a fire extinguisher in an emergency, so I can definitely see the appeal of making the process as simple as possible. Of course, you still need to know what you're doing, which involves a bit of reading up but, hey, you read HowStuffWorks, right? You like learning how, um, stuff works.
One of the keys to fighting fires safely is to understand that you only have a small window of time in which to bring some sort of extinguishing device to bear. After that, matters are probably going to get far enough out of hand that you should really just get out and call 911. So, if grabbing a bottle or ball is faster than the fire extinguisher mantra of "Pull, Aim, Squeeze and Sweep," then maybe there's something to popping for a throwable or two.
Me, I'm going to wait until the fire authorities and chemists weigh in on them (the ones I contacted for this article either did not get back to me or declined to comment).
- Ash, Michael and Irene Ash. "Handbook of Green Chemicals." Synapse Information Resources. June 2004.
- Bonex. "Fire Extinguisher Products." (May 7, 2014) http://www.bonex-asean.com/
- Burke, Robert. "Fire Protection: Systems and Response." CRC Press. 2007.
- Caldic Deutschland. "Certificate of Analysis Furex 770 - Ster Fire Ball." Aug. 5, 2010. (May 7, 2014) http://www.sterfireball.com/assets/files/certificate_of_analysis_furex_770.pdf
- Elide Fire Ball Pro. (May 7, 2014) http://www.elidefire.com/
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Fire Extinguisher." (May 7, 2014) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/207830/fire-extinguisher
- Engber, Daniel. "How Big is a '10-Alarm Fire'?" Slate. May 4, 2006. (May 15, 2014) http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2006/05/how_big_is_a_10alarm_fire.html
- European Parliament. "Directive 1999/45/EC." May 31, 1999. (May 7, 2014) http://europa.eu/!Vu86QR
- "The Gas Age." New York: Progressive Age Publishing. Vol. XXXIII: January to June 1914.
- Kovel, Ralph and Terry. "Fire Grenades Were Used in Past to Put Out Flames." King Features Syndicate/Chicago Tribune. Sep. 3, 1995. (May 7, 2014) http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-09-03/news/9509030084_1_grenades-extinguish-fire
- Lim, Leon, CEO and Founder of Linnovate Technology Sdn Bhd. Personal correspondence. May 6-7, 2014.
- Linnovate Technology. "Product Introduction: All-New SOTERIA Throwable Fire Extinguisher." (May 9, 2014) http://soteriafire.com/
- Linnovate Technology. "SOTERIA Fire Extinguisher FAQ." (May 9, 2014) http://soteriafire.com/
- Linnovate Technology. "SOTERIA Throwable Fire Extinguisher." (May 7, 2014) http://soteriafire.com/products/soteria-throwable.html
- New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. "Ammonium Bicarbonate." March 2001. (May 7, 2014) http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/0088.pdf
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). "Flammable and Combustible Liquids (29 CFR 1910.106)." Office of Training and Education. (May 7, 2014) https://www.osha.gov/dte/library/flammable_liquids/flammable_liquids.html
- Santa Cruz Biotechnology. "Ammonium Phosphate Dibasic." (May 7, 2014) http://www.scbt.com/datasheet-202947-ammonium-phosphate-dibasic.html
- U.S. Fire Administration. "Fire Extinguishers." May 6, 2010. (May 9, 2014) http://www.usfa.fema.gov/citizens/home_fire_prev/extinguishers.shtm
- YG Yangın Güvenliği LTD. "The Outstanding Feature of Fire Extinguisher Ball." 2011. (May 7, 2014) http://www.bestfireball.com/EN/features.html