The best way to handle mold is to keep it from finding a place to grow in your home. Although it's impossible to make yourself completely safe, there are some precautions you can take to reduce your risk of mold contamination:
- Keep your indoor relative humidity between 30 and 50 percent. Your air conditioning will help you control humidity, or you can purchase a dehumidifier. Test your relative humidity with an inexpensive humidity meter from your local hardware or home improvement store.
- Use venting fans in your bathrooms and kitchen.
- Insulate your home to help control condensation.
- Repair leaks immediately.
- Dry wet spots within 48 hours.
- Grade landscaping to route water away from your home.
- Keep gutters and downspouts clear of debris.
- Promote good air circulation by periodically opening windows and interior doors to seldom used areas.
- Clean the drip pans in your air conditioner regularly.
Don't leave yet. On the next page, you'll find lots more interesting information about mold and other related topics.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- CDC. " Facts About Stachybotrys Chartarum and Other Molds." Undated. 5/18/09.http://www.cdc.gov/MOLD/stachy.htm
- Consumer Reports. " After the Storm: Cleaning up Mold." 10/08. 5/20/09.http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/resource-center/after-the-storm-cleaning-up-mold-206/overview/index.htm
- Consumer Reports. " Gauging Mold's Harm." 10/08. 5/20/09.http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/resource-center/after-the-storm-cleaning-up-mold-206/gauging-molds-harm/index.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Finding a Pro." 10/08. 5/20/09.http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/resource-center/after-the-storm-cleaning-up-mold-206/finding-a-pro/index.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Getting Rid of Mold." 10/08. 5/20/09.http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/resource-center/after-the-storm-cleaning-up-mold-206/getting-rid-of-mold/index.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Mold Test Kits." 10/08. 5/20/09.http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/resource-center/after-the-storm-cleaning-up-mold-206/mold-test-kits/index.htm
- U.S. EPA. "A Brief Guide to Mold and Moisture in Your Home." Undated 5/18/09.http://www.epa.gov/mold/pdfs/moldguide.pdf
- U.S. EPA. "Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings." Undated. 5/18/09.http://www.epa.gov/mold/mold_remediation.html
- U.S. EPA. "Mold Resources." Undated. 5/18/09.http://www.epa.gov/iaq/molds/moldresources.html