The best way to handle mold is to keep it from finding a place to grow in your home. Although it's impossible to make yourself completely safe, there are some precautions you can take to reduce your risk of mold contamination:
- Keep your indoor relative humidity between 30 and 50 percent. Your air conditioning will help you control humidity, or you can purchase a dehumidifier. Test your relative humidity with an inexpensive humidity meter from your local hardware or home improvement store.
- Use venting fans in your bathrooms and kitchen.
- Insulate your home to help control condensation.
- Repair leaks immediately.
- Dry wet spots within 48 hours.
- Grade landscaping to route water away from your home.
- Keep gutters and downspouts clear of debris.
- Promote good air circulation by periodically opening windows and interior doors to seldom used areas.
- Clean the drip pans in your air conditioner regularly.
Don't leave yet. On the next page, you'll find lots more interesting information about mold and other related topics.