Hate that old lamp? Just smash the thing already. If you have a lamp that would look better in pieces, break it carefully and reuse the pieces to form a garden border or use in a mosaic. Here's how.
- Find a good space outdoors for smashing your lamp. You don't want to find tiny shards of glass in the toes of family members or pets later on.
- Cover your smash area with newspaper. Wear safety glasses.
- Place lamp on smash area and cover with an old towel -- one you won't mind throwing away. Make sure the lamp base is completely covered.
- Fold up longer ends of newspaper, effectively sealing the lamp between newspaper and towel.
- Smash methodically, moving from one end to the other. Hit lightly for larger pieces, and smash areas again for smaller pieces.
- Carefully shake towel above newspapers. Discard (since you don't want to take the chance of small, embedded shards in the cloth).
- Pick up the newspaper carefully by the edges, move your glass shards into a container until you're ready to make them into something [source: Mosaic Safety].