Now that you're "decked out" with all of the info you need, don't forget that safety and maintenance go hand in hand. Here's where we really get into the long-term safety concerns.
Following the proper codes covers your insurance requirements, but have you given thought to your deck's safety and reliability? Although deck projects have become popular over the years, they certainly aren't without risks.
Every few years or so, it seems like a deck collapses somewhere and the resulting injuries fill the headlines for a few weeks. To make sure that doesn't happen to you, we've listed a few things to keep an eye on as the seasons pass with fun and activity on your deck:
- Water issues -- One of the main sources of weak wood and danger, water affects wood's strength. Although wood naturally retains some moisture, excessive water can damage your deck, destabilizing it, especially at connection points or at the flashing.
- Weight -- Make sure your weight load doesn't exceed your deck's capabilities. Too much weight is a primary reason for a deck collapse. Another is the connection to the house. Remember the plans you put together at the beginning of this process, and never load your deck with more than it was intended to hold.
- Upkeep -- Always watch for popped nails, weak boards or wobbly railings. Maintaining the safety of your deck is all about keeping an eye out for small repairs before they become big problems.
With a bit of preparation and an eye for safety, you can easily build a deck that will be a source of enjoyment for your family for years to come. To learn more, visit the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Alden, Sharyn."Build Your Dream Deck or Patio on a Budget." ABC News5. 05/30/08 (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.thebostonchannel.com/mylife/16403361/detail.html
- Aubuchon Hardware. "A Guide to Building a Deck." (Accessed 02/22/09). http://outdoor-living.hardwarestore.com/learning/a-guide-to-building-a-deck.aspx
- Barrie, Deborah. "Alternative to Pressure Treated Wood." No CCA Wood. (Accessed 02/20/09) http://www.noccawood.ca/docs/cca_wood_alternatives.html
- BobVila.com. "Wood Deck Alternatives." (Accessed 02/22/09). http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Wood_Deck_Alternatives-Deck-A2111.html
- Burrnett, Robyn. "Deck Materials and Building Guide." Home and GardenTV Canada. (Accessed 02/20/09) http://www.hgtv.ca/gardening/articledetails.aspx?ContentId=2485&cat=2&by=4
- Bushart, Jim. "Backyard Deck Safety Tips." The Joplin Independent. 05/03/07. (Accessed 02/21/09). http://www.joplinindependent.com/display_article.php/jbushart1178228830
- Cincinnati. "How to Repair your Deck." (Accessed 02/22/09). http://www.cincinnati.com/spring/howto_deck.html
- Clark, Bruce. "How To Install Joist Hangers." Reader's Digest. 10/00. (Accessed 02/22/09) http://www.rd.com/how-to-install-joist-hangers/article19216.html
- Clement, Mark. Choosing Decking Materials: Why Wood Works." Home and Garden TV. 06/14/06. (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/dj_construction/article/0,,HPRO_20156_4759986,00.html
- Code Electric. "Understanding Blueprints." (Accessed 02/19/09) http://code-elec.com/page/1f7v9/New_Home_Builders_Checklist/How_to_Read_Blueprints.html
- Creative Homeowner. "How to Add Balusters and A Top Rail." (Accessed 02/22/09) http://www.realtor.com/home-garden/do-it-yourself/decks/how-to-add-balusters-and-top-rail-to-a-deck.aspx
- Deckert, Tom. "Public Service Announcement." Association of Florida Building Officials. 04/08/04. (Accessed 02/22/09) http://www.leonpermits.org/legal_notices/BBC-ICC-BOAFPS2.pdf
- DeckPlans. "Deck Building Made Easy!" (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.deckplans.com/
- Department of Consumer and Business Services. "Building Codes Division." State of Oregon. (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.permitsprotect.info/generalinfo.html#6
- Donald A. Gardener Architects. "How to Read House Plans Blueprints." (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.dongardner.com/reading-house-plans-blueprints.aspx
- Donegan, Fran J." Deck Defense." This Old House. (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,219491,00.html
- Engel, Andy. "Products." Professional Deck Builder Magazine. (01-02/07. (Accessed 02/20/09) http://www.deckmagazine.com/pdf/2007/0701/0701prod.pdf
- Engel, Andy. "What to Do when Standard details won't work." Professional Deck Builders Magazine. (Accessed 02/20/09) http://www.deckmagazine.com/article/62.html
- FEMA. "Roof-To-Wall and Deck-to-Wall Flashing." (Accessed 02/21/09). http://www.flash.org/resources/files/HGCC_Fact23.pdf
- Gibson, Scott. Flashing- What is it and why is it important?" Old House Web. (Accessed 02/21/09). http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/flashing-what-is-it-and-why-is-it-important.shtmlGorton, Jeff." Dream Deck Plans" Reader's Digest. 05/04. (Accessed 02/20/09) http://www.rd.com/17482/article17482.html
- Heavens, Al. "Your Place: Pressure Treated Wood and Aluminum Don't Mix." The Philadelphia Inquirer. 11/14/08. (Accessed 02/20/09) http://www.philly.com/philly/home/20081114_Your_Place__Pressure-treated_wood_and_aluminum_don_t_mix.html
- Hijuelos, Len. "Understanding Blueprints." Paint Pro. 06/00. (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.paintpro.net/Articles/PP303/PP303_estimating.cfm
- Home and Garden Television. "Building a deck addition." (Accessed 02/22/09). http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement/building-a-deck-addition/index.html
- Huber, Jeanne. "High Tech Decks." This Old House. (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,401428,00.html
- KOMOTV. "About Homeowner's Insurance." (Accessed 02/22/09). http://ww3.komotv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1086825
- Lowe's. "Lowe's Deck Designer." (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pg&p=DesDeck/deckdes_splash.html
- Lowe's. "Woodworking Projects." (Accessed 02/19/09) http://lowes.diyonline.com/servlet/GIB_Base/lcdeckbegin?projectName=4198862&firstName=Olivia&storeName=&UserID=1011
- Mayor, Sandi. "Before Building Your Deck." Pool and Spa Living. (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.poolspaliving.com/backyardproducts/outdoorliving/articles/before-building-your-deck.aspx?catName=BackyardProducts&subCatName=outdoorliving
- Mayor, Sandi. "Decking Options." (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.poolspaliving.com/backyardproducts/outdoorliving/articles/decking-options.aspx?catName=BackyardProducts&subCatName=outdoorliving
- Menards. "Ultradeck Product Installation Guide." (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/docs/pdf/UltraDeck_Installation.pdf
- Rist, Curtis. "Building A Safe Deck." This Old House. (Accessed 02/22/09). http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,212625-2,00.html
- Smith, Kelly. Perpetual Remodeling Syndrome: Deck building design." DIY Life. 07/24/08 (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.diylife.com/2008/07/24/perpetual-remodeling-syndrome-deck-building-design/
- Truini, Joseph."Great Decks Are Made of Great Details." This Old House. (Accessed 02/19/09) http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,220349,00.html
- Virginia Tech College of Natural Resources. "Loferski and Woeste Update Deck Safety Regulations." 2006. (Accessed 02/21/09) http://www.fw.vt.edu/cnr_pdf/cnr%20newsletter%20winter%202006.pdf
- West, Anne. "Deck Inspections; A Matter of Life and Death." North American Deck and Railing Association. (Accessed 02/20/09) http://www.nadra.org/consumers/deck_inspections.html
- Wilson, Jeff. "Build a Deck- Starting the Deck." DIY Network. (Accessed 02/21/09) http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ho_decks/article/0,2037,DIY_13946_2276326,00.html
- Wilson, Jeff. "Build a Deck- Installing the Decking." DIY Network (Accessed 02/21/09) http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ho_decks/article/0,2037,DIY_13946_2276371,00.html
- Wood Magazine. "How Dry is Your Wood?" (Accessed 02/20/09) http://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/lumber/how-dry-is-your-wood/