Gas Lines and Appliances
Like electricity, gas power in your home can be dangerous. Your gas appliances run off a plentiful and relatively safe fuel source, but the operative word here is "relatively." Natural gas has no odor. That foul smell comes from an additive designed to alert people to leaks. Even at that, accidents happen. Carbon monoxide poisoning kills more than 400 people in the United States every year, and you've probably seen those TV news stories about explosions and fires resulting from undetected leaks.
If you need to run a gas line, perform a repair or just feel it's been a while since your home's been checked, consult your power company or fire department for advice.