Tips for Installing a Fireplace Mantel
There are numerous helpful tips that will make your fireplace mantel installation easier.
First, marking the wall with a pencil will help you keep your place and keep your boards and mantel straight. Make your notches horizontally, 12 inches (30 cm) apart to show where the top of the shelf meets the wall.
Be sure to consult a National Fire Protection Association Fire Code guide for up-to-date fire codes and regulations concerning home improvement and fireplaces. To meet your homeowner's insurance policy, you'll probably need to follow all local and national regulations, as well as chimney inspection regulations in some cases. Regardless of code, you'll want to install your mantel high enough above the flames to prevent it from catching fire.
If you're using a kit, take some time before assembly to visualize how the pieces of your mantel will fit together around the firebox, especially if you're using marble. The legs of the mantel will likely need to be cut to fit the height of the fireplace.
When installing a wood mantel on a stone fireplace, make sure to add a scribe, or wooden beam, to the fireplace. This is what you'll attach the wooden mantel to, instead of trying to nail a bunch of wooden boards into stone. Before you consider self-installation, evaluate the amount of time you have and your budget for the project. The more sophisticated the materials you use, the greater the undertaking. Remember, it takes effort to keep the home fires burning.
Be sure to check out the links below for more information.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Ace Hardware. "Fireplace Mantels." (Accessed 2/27/09). http://www.acehardwareandhearth.com/fireplace-mantels.asp
- Appalachian Mantel Company. "Mantel Shelf Installation Instructions." (Accessed 2/27/09). http://www.netease.net/amc/shelfinstallation.htm
- Better Homes and Gardens TV. "Message Boards." 11/15/08. (Accessed 2/1/09). http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4774011632/m/9621073783
- BHG. "Wall Installation & How-To." (Accessed 2/27/09). http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/walls/installation-how-to/
- Bloom, Lary. "Lessons from the Founding Fireplaces." 2/10/08. ( Accessed 2/27/09). http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/10colct.html
- Cleveland, Todd. "A Heated (Fireplace) Discussion: Pre-Designed vs. Designed-on-Site." Masonry Magazine. (Accessed 3/1/09). http://www.masonrymagazine.com/6-03/fireplace2.html
- DIY Network. "Fireplace Mantel Installation." (Accessed 2/28/09). http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_fireplace/article/0,,diy_13914_2269267,00.html
- DIY Network. "Pre-cast Stone Fireplace Instructions." (Accessed 3/1/09). http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/home_improvement/article/0,2037,DIY_13954_2276182,00.html
- DIY Network. "Upgrading a Family Room: Installing Fireplace Mantel and Fireplace Doors." (Accessed 2/27/09). http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_family_room/article/0,,DIY_13912_2277018,00.html
- Fireplaces Magazine. "Fireplace Mantel Styles." (Accessed 2/28/09). http://www.fireplacesmagazine.com/mantles/mantle-styles.html
- Fireplaces Magazine. "Fireplace Mantels." (Accessed 2/27/09). http://www.fireplacesmagazine.com/mantles.html
- Garskof, Josh. "Installing a New Mantel." This Old House. (Accessed 3/10/09) http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,555860,00.html
- Gitlin, Jane. "Fireplace Design a Practical Guide to Fireplaces and Stoves Indoors and Out." p. 76; p. 88. The Taunton Press. 2006. (Accessed 2/27/09).
- HGTV. "How to Build an Extended Fireplace Mantel.' (Accessed 2/27/09). http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement/extended-fireplace-mantel/index.html
- Insurance Information Institute, the. "Is your home prepared for a visit from Old Man Winter?" 10/23/02. (Accessed 2/27/09). http://www.iii.org/media/updates/external/archive/press.647680/?printerfriendly=yes
- MantelsDirect. "Marble Mantel Surround." (Accessed 2/27/09). http://www.mantelsdirect.com/install/marble_mantel.html;jsessionid=0a0106431f4356f00ff0fa2b453b9f49e2c2995d340e.e3eSc3eMbxuPe34Pa38Ta38Qbxb0
- Ryan, Paul. "Precast Stone Fireplace: Adding the Mantel and the Hearth." DIY Network. (Accessed 3/1/09). http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_fireplace/article/0,,DIY_13914_2276195,00.htm
- Sawyers, Harry. "How to Install a Mantel." This Old House. (Accessed 2/27/09). http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,1575966,00.html
- Tripp, Kaelin. "Mantel Makeovers: 1 mantel, 4 ways." Better Homes and Gardens. (Accessed 2/27/09). http://www.bhg.com/decorating/home-accessories/mantels/mantel-makeovers-1-mantel-4-ways/
- Weaver, Gerald. "Fireplace Designs." Pp.37. Betterway Books1993. (Accessed 2/27/09).
- WoodWeb. "Scribing Wood Mantels to Stone or Brick." 02/08/08. (Accessed 3/01/09). http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Scribing_Wood_Mantels_to_Stone_or_Brick.html