Weird and Wacky Garden Sculpture
Take your garden pleasures where you find them. If your taste runs to the weird and wacky, try something extreme. Rusted-out cars aren't the lone provinces of the city junkyard. Some people put their old car on blocks in the garden, and others make the old car their garden. Fill the cab with dirt, plant some geraniums and you have an instant flowerbed. Sure, it isn't to everyone's taste, but it is unique. From upended cars and landlocked boats to old cannons, someone somewhere will find a use for it in the garden.
The garden is a good spot for those unusual collections, too. How about those dozens of bowling balls you've been accumulating because the colors are so bright, or that nice collection of garden spades your grandfather left you? And there's always the spittoon collection your wife won't let you bring in the house. Don't call the garden a repository for junk; there's something more going on. Our indoor spaces only allow so much room for self-expression. We have to get around in our home's confined spaces, share our taste with others, and corral our humor so it doesn't get on anyone's nerves. When the niceties of modern living start to pinch, the garden is a great place to let off a little steam, express an opinion, or thumb your nose at convention. Many do, and from the look of it, it feels good.
Of course, if it's going to be seen by your neighbors, you may want to check any restrictions place by a neighborhood association. They may have something to say about a Chevy in the front yard. Take a look at the next page, where we'll explore more garden related topics.
Related How Stuff Works Articles
More Great Links
- Adams County Travel. "Clothesline Quilts." Undated. 11/30/2008. http://www.adamscountytravel.org/quiltbarns.html
- As the Garden Grows. "Odd Garden Décor." 3/7/2007. 11/25/2008.http://feverishthoughts.com/garden/2007/03/07/odd-garden-decor/
- BBC. "Gnome Expense Spared." 12/1/1997.11/29/2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/36143.stm
- Baskett, Mickey. "Decorating Your Garden." Sterling Publishing. 1998.
- Bix, Cynthia." Ideas for Great Garden Décor." Sunset Publishing. 2000.
- Florida Gardener. "Feng Shui in the Florida Garden." 6/3/2008. 11/24/2008. http://floridagardener.com/misc/fengshui.htm
- Gnome Frenzy. "History of Garden Gnomes." Undated. 11/3/2008. http://www.gnomefrenzy.com/history-of-garden-gnomes.html
- Harris, Pamela Cole. "Creating Outdoor Rooms From Scratch on a Budget." 2007.11/17/2008. http://www.homeandgardenmakeover.com/outdoor-room.html
- Iowa State University. " Barn Quilts Give a Shot in the Arm to Agritourism through Art, History and Nostalgia." 12/14/2007. 11/28/2008. http://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/2007/dec/091401.htm
- Karr, Laura Jean. "Green Christmas Low Energy Lights." 10/23/2008. 11/26/2008. http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/12296.aspx
- McCauley, Gail. "Decking Out Your Outdoor Areas." Undated. 11/17/2008. http://www.homeandgardenmakeover.com/deckingout.html
- Modra, Ronald C. and M. B. Roberts. "Garish Gardens, Outlandish Lawns." Willow Creek Press. 1998.
- Planetary Society. "How to Read a Sundial." Undated. 11/29/2008. http://www.planetary.org/programs/projects/earthdial/how_to_read.html
- Rushing, Felder. "Tacky or Gaudy, a Look at Garden Art." Undated. 11/25/2008. http://www.learn2grow.com/inspirations/gardenart/types/tackyorgaudy.aspx?page=1
- Sblom. "Sam's Mailbox Picture Collection." Undated. 11/27/2008.http://sblom.com/mailbox/
- Sustainable Horticulture - University of New Hampshire. "Garden People or Deck Planters." 2008. 11/26/2008. http://horticulture.unh.edu/ggg/gardenThemes/gardenPeopleOrDeckPlanters.html
- Sustainable Horticulture - University of New Hampshire. "How to Make a Flowerbed (a bed in your flowerbed)." 2008. 11/26/2008. http://horticulture.unh.edu/ggg/gardenThemes/flowerBeds.html
- Sustainable Horticulture - University of New Hampshire. "Make Your Own Scarecrow." 2008. 11/26/2008.http://horticulture.unh.edu/ggg/artsAndCrafts/makingScarecrows.html
- The Kitchen Sink. "Spooky Economy Not Scaring Halloween Spenders." 10/6/2008.11/29/2008. http://thekitchenthink.typepad.com/wiseideas/2008/10/spooky-economy.html
- Thinking Fountain. "Make a Pop Bottle Whirligig." 1997. 11/26/2008. http://www.thinkingfountain.org/p/popbottlewhirligig/popbottlewhirligig.html
- Under the Gargoyle, "The Natural and Unnatural History of Gargoyles." Undated. 11/27/2008. http://www.underthegargoyle.com/nathist.html
- YouTube. "Water Feature in Fukuoka, Japan." Undated. 11/24/2008.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HeUixe_Lpg
Using less water on gardening doesn't have to mean less of a garden. Learn how to save 30 percent of your gardening water just by watering at the right time of day in this article.