3. Whimsical Wind Chimes
One of the great sounds of summer, along with baseball on the radio, is the melodic tinkling of wind chimes. They alert you to a cooling breeze or incoming weather. Here is a fun and easy project that the whole family can participate in.
- 6 2-1/2" clay pots
- Acrylic paint
- 12 round wooden beads, larger than the holes in bottom of the pots
- 10 yd. spool of plastic cord
- A favorite postcard or picture
- Have each member of the family paint a pot before assembling and let dry. Remember, one pot will be completely visible while the others will be partially obscured by the pot above it.
- Fold cord in half and tie a knot, leaving a loop to hang the wind chime. Thread the two ends through a bead.
- Thread the ends of the cord through the upside down clay pot you want on top.
- Thread another bead on, inside the pot. This will secure the pot. Make five knots below the bead. Beads and knots keep the pots apart.
- Repeat the above step until all pots are threaded together.
- Finish the cord by punching a hole in the postcard and threading the cord through.