Lots More Information
Most homeowners insurance won't cover your home if you're renting it via sites like Airbnb. HowStuffWorks looks at insurance policies that will.
Author's Note: 5 Things to Review on Your Lease
It's true that a few landlords are shady dealers looking to cut corners and make a killing off their clueless or cowed tenants. In my experience, many more landlords are decent folks who work hard to provide others with a comfortable home, while perhaps eking out a small profit. No matter which kind you get, the lease will either be your ace in the hole or your undoing if a dispute arises. Having rented (and rented out) a number of homes over the years, I can personally attest that a well-written, locally enforceable lease can prevent major headaches for both landlord and tenant during the term of occupancy.
- Anderson, Sally. "15 common renter's rights." MSN Real Estate. (June 19, 2012) http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=13108370
- FindLaw.com. "Your Rights as a Tenant." (June 19, 2012) http://realestate.findlaw.com/landlord-tenant-law/your-rights-as-a-tenant.html?DCMP=GOO-REAL_Tenants-Rights&HBX_PK=tenants'+rights
- Hodges, Jane. "Rent vs. Own." Chronicle Books. 2012.
- McAdams, Jeff. "How to Run a Business from Your Apartment without Interference from the Landlord." Mcadamslaw.net. Oct. 21, 2010. (June 25, 2012) http://www.mcadamslaw.net/backissues-10-21-10.html
- Moore, Stephanie. "Renting a House or Apartment - Your Rights as a Renter." ConsumerAffairs.com. (June 20, 2012) http://www.consumeraffairs.com/rentals/how02.html
- RentLaw.com. "Landlord Tenant Statutes." (June 20, 2012) http://www.rentlaw.com/statuerentlaw.htm
- Stewart, Marcia. "Breaking a Lease and Leaving Early." Nolo.com. (June 22, 2012) http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/renters-rights-book/chapter9-5.html
- Stewart, Marcia; Warner, Ralph and Portman, Janet. "Leases & Rental Agreements -- Important forms every landlord needs." Nolo. 2011.