When you bought your last home and something went wrong, how difficult was it to get the contractor to come and fix it? Chances are it was a hassle, and the work wasn't done in time. Manufactured homes generally come with a one-year warranty for construction and separate warranties for windows, doors, siding, faucets, appliances -- you name it. Most will even provide their customers with extended warranties.
While all new homes will have a warranty, used homes might not. Ask some of these important questions before signing off on the house:
- How long does the warranty last?
- What does the warranty cover?
- What voids the warranty?
- Does the retailer, builder or installer perform the warranty work, or is it split between all parties?
- Does the warranty become void if the installation site is not properly prepared? [source: Consumer Union]
However, buyer beware: The key is to make sure you have a copy of the complete warranty and not a summary document. And be sure to keep the warranty up to date if it requires renewing.
More Great Links
- Collins, Paul. "Mobile home park turnaround hoped." Martinsville Bulletin. Feb. 28, 2011. (March, 2011).http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=27530
- Consumers Union. "Consumers Union's Manufactured Home Warranty Tips." (March, 2011).http://www.consumersunion.org/other/mh/wtips.htm
- Gorman, Jim. "Eco-Friendly Modular Home." Country Living. (March, 2011).http://www.countryliving.com/homes/house-tours/green-piece-1008
- Howley, Kathleen M. "Buffett Says Buying Home was Third-Best Investment he Made." Bloomberg Businessweek. March, 3, 2011. (March, 2011).http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-02-28/buffett-says-buying-home-was-third-best-investment-he-made.html
- Lawrence, Robyn Griggs. "Green Buildings: Affordable, Eco-friendly Modular Homes." Mother Earth News. October/November, 2009. (March, 2011).http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green-Homes/Green-Modular-Homes.aspx
- ManufacturedHousing.org. "Today's Manufactured Housing." (March, 2011).http://www.manufacturedhousing.org/understanding_today/cost_size.htm
- ManufacturedHousing.org. "Who Lives in Manufactured Housing?" (March, 2011).http://www.manufacturedhousing.org/understanding_today/graph.htm
- Modular Center. "Modular Homes." (March, 2011).http://www.modularcenter.com/modularfaq/
- Nationwide Homes. "Modular Home Construction Features." (March, 2011).http://www.nationwide-homes.com/main.cfm?pagename=modular
- Swider, Paul. "Modular homes: What's not to like?" St. Petersburg Times. Jan. 21, 2007. (March, 2010).http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/21/Neighborhoodtimes/Modular_homes__What_s.shtml
- The Manufactured Housing Association of Oklahoma. "Myth vs. Realty." (March, 2011).http://www.mhao.org/myths.asp
- U.S. Census Bureau. "Average Sales Price of New Manufactured Homes by Region and Size of Home." (March, 2011).http://www.census.gov/const/mhs/mhstabavgsls.pdf
- U.S. Census Bureau. "Median and Average Sales Prices of New Homes Sold in the United States." (March, 2011).http://www.census.gov/const/uspriceann.pdf
- U.S. Department of Energy. "Manufactured Home Comparison." (March, 2011).http://www.baihp.org/data/NCATU/index.htm
Most homeowners insurance won't cover your home if you're renting it via sites like Airbnb. HowStuffWorks looks at insurance policies that will.