You've heard stories about that job applicant who was rejected because of the pictures posted to Facebook, Flickr or (heaven forbid!) MySpace from a college spring-break trip 10 years ago. Well, the major difference between a job interview and a co-op interview is that the co-op interview is more personal. Nothing's off limits -- including those incriminating pictures.
So do yourself a favor: Before you turn in your co-op application, Google yourself. You can be sure they will. And if what you find paints you in a light that's a little less than complimentary, do what you can to clean it up. Delete or retag photos, cancel outdated social media profiles and update existing ones.
But as anyone under the age of 35 seems to understand, the best defense against the black cloud of unwanted social media following you forever is to ensure that before you dance on the bar or otherwise humiliate yourself, you confiscate all surrounding smart phones. Or just don't do it (but where's the fun in that?).
Unfortunately, what happens in Vegas no longer stays in Vegas, and when you're applying to a co-op, Vegas has a nasty habit of rearing its less-than-flattering head.
For more information on co-ops and home buying, check out the links below.
- Kaye, J. "Matter of Levandusky v One Fifth Ave. Apt. Corp." Court of Appeals of New York. April 5, 1990. (Feb. 6, 2011)http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/archives/levandusky_one.htm
- Levy, Carol E. "Top Dozen Reasons for Co-op Board Rejections." The Cooperator. May 2007. (Feb. 6, 2011) http://cooperator.com/articles/1450/1/Top-Dozen-Reasons-for-Co-op-Board-Rejections/Page1.html
- Romano, Jay. "Last Co-op Hurdle: The Board Interview." The New York Times. Feb. 25, 2007. (Feb. 6, 2011) http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/realestate/25Home.html
- Romano, Jay. "What a Co-op Board Will Want to Know." The New York Times. Feb. 18, 2007. (Feb. 6, 2011) http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/realestate/18home.html
- Romano, Jay. "Your Home; Passing A Co-op Interview." The New York Times. July 30, 1995. (Feb. 7, 2011) http://www.nytimes.com/1995/07/30/realestate/your-home-passing-a-co-op-interview.html?src=pm
If you own a home, you most likely have homeowners insurance, but how sure are you about what is and isn't covered? HowStuffWorks takes a look.