A rule of thumb is measure twice and buy once. Measure the depth, width and height of the space where you want to install your fridge, then measure again. Finally, have someone else measure, for good measure (pardon the pun). Here's the step-by-step:
- Height: Measure from floor to ceiling (or whatever the fridge will hit on the top). Add .5 to 1 inch (1.27 to 2.5 centimeters) just to be safe.
- Width: Leave wiggle room so you can slide your fridge in without a struggle. And add a couple inches on both sides, so your doors can have room to open.
- Depth: Measure from the wall to the front of your cabinets. This lets you know if the fridge will stick out beyond them, be level or sink in behind them. If your kitchen is narrow, you might want to measure the space across too, so you know if you'll have room for wide doors to open.
Don't forget to measure your front door. In fact, measure any place your fridge is likely to pass through before it's home: truck doors, garage doors, front doors, or hallways. That way, you won't have to return your perfectly sized fridge that's stuck in your front doorway.
For more neat kitchen ideas, see the next page.
- ABT. "Shallow Depth Refrigerators." Abt.com. (Sept. 28, 2011). http://www.abt.com/category/654/Shallow-Depth-Refrigerators.html
- AJ Madison. "Counter Depth Refrigerators." 2011. Ajmadison.com. (Sept. 28, 2011) http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/Counter+Depth%3BRefrigerators/N~26+4294966346
- California Energy Commission. "Refrigerators and Freezers." Consumerenergycenter.org. 2011. (Sept. 28, 2011). http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/appliances/refrigerators.html
- CNet. "Refrigerator buying guide." Cnet reviews. Consumerreasearch.com. Updated Dec. 8, 2009. (Sept. 28, 2011). http://www.consumersearch.com/refrigerators/how-to-buy-a-refrigerator
- Home Depot. "Refrigerators." The Home Depot U.S.A. (Sept. 28, 2011). http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Refrigerators&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
- Major Appliance Pro. "How to measure dimensions of a refrigerator for your space." Major-appliance-pro.com. (Oct. 3, 2011). http://www.major-appliance-pro.com/dimensions.html
- Rekitchen. "How to measure your kitchen for a new refrigerator." Rekitchen.com. (Oct. 3, 2011). http://www.rekitchen.com/refrigerator/how-to-measure.html