Most forklifts, and vehicles in general, are not the easiest things in the world to maneuver. This is because the wheels only roll forwards and backwards -- there's no lateral movement. So if your goal is to move somewhere off to your right or left -- say to that better parking space a few slots down that just opened up -- and you want to end up pointed in the same direction when you get there, you need to turn, go either forward or backward, and turn again. In a car, this isn't that big of a deal, but when it comes to vehicles like forklifts, it can be another story.
Forklifts often carry large, bulky and very heavy objects that can be difficult to load and challenging to maneuver (especially through doorways and other narrow places). All that turning and maneuvering at safe, but very slow speeds can also suck up a great deal of time. And that's what makes this last tool so cool -- its wheels are designed to let it travel in any and every direction.
The special wheel design was invented by Bengt Ilon of Sweden in the 1970s. It works because its wheels are comprised of a circular set of rollers arranged at angles along the wheel. This, in effect, gives the wheels something similar to the functional shape of a sphere (like the ball bearings in rolling chairs) and vastly increases the range of motion available. Want to go sideways? How about diagonally backward with a twist at the end? Whatever you want, any direction of motion is now possible.
These fancy wheels have started appearing on different commercial products, including the Airtrax Sidewinder ATX-3000. This forklift is operated with two joysticks and can rotate in a full circle while remaining in one place -- no donuts here. It can also drive over anything up to 3 inches high. A big advantage of the Sidewinder is that a warehouse could be filled with more items because less room needs to be devoted to driving maneuvers, all of which can also be accomplished more rapidly.
To find out more about the world of high-tech tools and other interesting facts, follow the links below.
More Great Links
- "7.1.1 Soldering Basics." Circuit Technology Center. 7/7/200. (8/7/2008).http://www.circuitrework.com/guides/7-1-1.shtml
- "Agilent MSO7104A Oscilloscope Data Sheet." Agilent Technologies. 2/12/2008. (9/22/2008) http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/product.jspx?nid=-34750.753828.00&cc=US&lc=eng
- "Agilent Technologies InfiniiVision 7000 Series Oscilloscopes Data Sheet." (9/22/2008) http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-7736EN.pdf
- Agilent Technologies Corporate Web site. (8/4/2008) http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/home.jspx
- Airtrax Corporate Web site. (8/4/2008) http://www.airtrax.com/
- "Baileigh Cold Saws." Baileigh Industries Inc. (8/8/2008) http://www.bii1.com/coldsaws.htm
- "CAD software - history of CAD CAM." Cadazz. 7/2004. (8/5/2008) http://www.cadazz.com/cad-software-history.htm
- "Cold Saw." Government of South Australia Department of Education and Children's Services. (8/8/2008) http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/docs/documents/1/GuidelinesfortheSafeUse-5.pdf
- Dean, Al. "ZCorporation Spectrum Z510." Prototype Magazine. 1/5/2005. (8/6/2008) http://www.prototypemagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=2
- Fluke Corporate Web site. (8/4/2008) http://us.fluke.com/usen/home/default.htm
- "High Production Cold Saws." Clausing Industrial, Inc. (9/23/2008) http://www.clausing-industrial.com/Products/Catalogs/Sawing/KzooCold/KzooColdSaw_102004.pdf
- "High Speed Steel Cutting Tools." Super Tool Inc. (8/8/2008) http://www.supertoolinc.com/tools/High-Speed-Steel/
- "How it Works." Cached VersaLASER Instruction Manual. (8/6/2008) http://22.214.171.124/search?q=cache:cUxeA6NFC-sJ:www.ulsinc.com/versalaser/english/laser_applications/manual/versaLaser_3.pdf+z+axis+versalaser&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a
- Ilon, Bengt Erland. "Wheels for a Course Stable Selfpropelling Vehicle Movable in Any Desired Direction on the Ground or some other Base." Free Patents Online. 11/13/1972. (8/4/2008) http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3876255.pdf
- "Infiniium DSA91304A High Performance Oscilloscope" Agilent Technologies. (8/6/2008) http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/product.jspx?nid=-34711.749311.00&cc=US&lc=eng
- Kalamazoo Machine Tool Corporate Web site. (8/4/2008) http://www.kmtsaw.com/
- "Kalamazoo." Clausing Industrial, Inc. (9/22/2008) http://www.clausing-industrial.com/Products/Saws/Kalamazoo/CircularSaws/ManualPneumaticSemiAutomatic.htm
- "Logging and analyzing events with FlukeView Forms Software." Fluke. 2004. (8/5/2008) http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/download/asset/2386842_a_w.pdf
- Lynch, Mike. "What is CNC?" CNC Concepts, Inc. (8/7/2008) http://www.cncci.com/resources/articles/what%20is%20cnc.htm
- "MAKO uses SolidWorks software to design robotics and implants for minimally invasive surgery alternative." SolidWorks. 7/14/2008. (8/5/2008) http://www.solidworks.com/pages/news/pressreleases/viewrelease.html?prid=533
- Metcal Corporate Web site. (8/4/2008) http://www.okinternational.com/
- Miller Corporate Web site. (8/4/2008) http://www.millerwelds.com/
- "Millermatic 252." Miller. 9/2008. (9/22/2008) http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/DC12-49.pdf
- "Millermatic 252." Miller. 2008. (9/22/2008) http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o230693d_mil.pdf
- "Mig, GMAW, Wire Welding, MAG." WeldGuru.com.
- "Multimeter Tutorial and Video." Electronics and Radio Today. (8/5/2008) http://www.electronics-radio.com/articles/test-methods/meters/digital-multimeter-dmm-tutorial.php
- "Oscilloscope Fundamentals." Agilent Technologies. 7/21/2008. (8/6/2008) http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-8064EN.pdf
- Paschotta, Rudiger. "Laser Marking." (8/6/2008) http://www.rp-photonics.com/laser_marking.html
- Phillips, W. D. "Using an Oscilloscope." Design Electronics. (8/6/2008) http://www.doctronics.co.uk/scope.htm
- "Products for the week of October 15, 2007." test&measurementZONE of En-Genius. 10/2007. (8/6/2008) http://www.en-genius.net/site/zones/testmeasurementZONE/product_reviews/tmp_101507
- Rice, Marty. "MIG welding--The basics and then some." TheFabricator.com. 7/3/2004. (8/7/2008) http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWelding/ArcWelding_Article.cfm?ID=929
- Rice, Marty. "More about MIG welding." TheFabricator.com. 1/11/2005. (8/7/2008) http://www.thefabricator.com/ArcWelding/ArcWelding_Article.cfm?ID=1030
- Sherman, Lilli Manolis. "Close-Up On Technology -- Rapid Prototyping. Plastics Technology. (8/5/2008) http://www.ptonline.com/articles/200408cu3.html
- SolidWorks Corporate Web site. (8/4/2008) http://www.solidworks.com/index.html
- "Saw Technology." ProductionTechnologyNews.com. 2005. (8/7/2008)http://proxygsu-afpl.galileo.usg.edu/login?url=http://wf2-Dnvr1.webfeat.org:80/2hBRK1111/url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=18944635&site=ehost-live
- "Soldering." Encyclopedia Britannica. (8/6/2008) http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/553118/soldering
- "Special Purpose Metal Cutting Equipment." Modern Machine Shop. 8/2006. (8/7/20080) http://proxygsu-afpl.galileo.usg.edu/login?url=http://wf2-Dnvr1.webfeat.org:80/2hBRK1114/url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&AN=23158467&site=ehost-live
- "Specs and Pricing." VersaLASERS.net. (8/4/2008) http://www.versalasers.net/VLspecs.htm
- Tormach Corporate Web site. (8/4/2008) http://www.tormach.com/index.html
- Universal Laser Systems Corporate Web site. (8/6/2008) http://www.ulsinc.com/index.html
- "University of Glasgow purchases 200 licenses of SolidWorks software." New York Times. 7/7/2008. (8/5/2008) http://markets.on.nytimes.com/research/stocks/news/press_release.asp?docKey=600-200807070800BIZWIRE_USPR_____BW5154-0GDQTHI2L93NK9N9LMALO6QHT3&headline=University%20of%20Glasgow%20purchases%20200%20licenses%20of%20SolidWorks%20software&provider=Businesswire&docDate=July%207%2C%202008&company_name=DasS.A.ult%20Systemes%20S.A."VersaLaser." Surgrave. (8/6/2008) http://www.suregrave.co.uk/versalaser.html
- "Welding, Brazing, and Soldering." Encyclopedia Britannica Student Edition. (8/7/8) http://student.britannica.com/comptons/article-210127/welding-brazing-and-soldering
- "What is a DMM Digital Multimeter." Electronics and Radio Today. (8/5/2008) http://www.electronics-radio.com/articles/test-methods/meters/dmm-digital-multimeter.php
- ZCorporation Corporate Web site. (8/4/2008) http://www.zcorp.com/
- "ZPrinter 450 3-D Printer." Prototype Magazine. 3/16/2007. (8/6/2008) http://www.prototypemagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=2
Jackhammers offer incredible power when it comes to breaking down hard substances. Find out how these demolition marvels work.