Burlap, Silk and Wool
Follow these steps to remove red wine stains from burlap, silk and wool:
- Be sure to remove the sugar residue or it will cause a permanent stain.
- Blot up the excess wine.
- Sponge the stain with water.
- Cover with an absorbent pad dampened with a wet spotter of white vinegar. Let it stand until fully absorbed, then change the pad out for a new one.
- Flush with water and repeat until no more stain is being lifted.
For stubborn or old stains:
- Moisten the area with a solution of 1 teaspoon of liquid laundry detergent that is safe for silk or wool and 1 cup of warm water.
- Cover the stain with an absorbent pad dipped in the solution and wrung nearly dry.
- Let it stand for 30 minutes, adding enough solution to keep the area warm and barely moist.
- When the stain is removed, thoroughly flush the fabric with water and allow it to dry.