Keep It Clean
For bugs that do get inside, make food scarce by keeping a clean kitchen. Empty the garbage frequently, and wipe down counters after you cook. Store food in tightly sealed plastic, metal or other pest-proof containers. Don't leave out dirty dishes, especially overnight, when roaches and other nocturnal bugs are active.
Insects prefer dark, warm, damp areas. Eliminate any potential bug sites by fixing leaky pipes and clearing clogged gutters. Keep attics and crawl spaces ventilated. Stack firewood and landscaping bricks away from the home. Inspect items made of cardboard, wood and bamboo. They provide not only transport but also food for beetles, roaches and borers.
Need more information on debugging the house? There's lots more below.
- Animal Planet. "Fleas." (April 28, 2011)http://animal.discovery.com/cat-guide/cat-care/cat-health/cat-fleas.html
- Colorado State University. "Plants Help Keep Mosquitoes Away." Jan. 5, 2010. (May 5, 2011)http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4dmg/Pests/mosquito.htm
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology. "What to Feed Birds." (May 4, 2011)http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/About BirdsandFeeding/BirdFoods.htm
- Cranshaw, W.S. "Insect Control: Soaps and Detergents." May 12, 2010. (May 6, 2011)http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/incest/05547.html
- J.C. Ehrlich, Co. "Bamboo Borer."http://www.jcerlich.com/pest-guides/insects-and-spiders/wood-damaging-beetles/bamboo-borer/index.html (May 5, 2011)
- McDonough, Margo. "Stink Bugs." UDaily, March 30, 2011. (May 3, 2011)http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2011/mar/stink-bugs/033011.html
- Nick, Jean. "The Nickel Pincher: Beat Back Household Bugs." (April 29, 2011)http://www.rodale.com/natural-insect-control
- Nolan, Kate. "Don't bug out: Gecko lizards pose no threat." Arizona Republic, June 4, 2005. (May 4, 2011)http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0604B3-env-gecko04.html?&wired
- North Country Organics. "Diatomaceous Earth." (May 3, 2011)http://www.norganics.com/products/pestcontrol/diamotaceous-earth.html
- Rayor, Linda S. "All About Spiders." Jan. 5, 2010. (May 4, 2011)http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/spiders.htm
- Terminix Services, Inc. "Tips for Prevention." (April 27, 2011)http://trustterminix.com/learning_center/tips.php
- Whitworth, Robert J. and Ahmad, Aqeel. "Cockroaches." March 2007. (May 3, 2011)http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/entml2/MF2765.pdf