Thin Veneer Stone
Much like gravel, veneer stone can be made from different types of stone. It's still a natural stone product, though it's specially cut for use on the face of a structure. A thin veneer stone is simply cut thinner to allow for more stone coverage and a similar look with less stone used [source: Buechel Stone]. "Many stone blends can now be supplied in a thin veneer and adhered to a wall foundation in lieu of a full thick stone material that requires a structural support ledge," says Roehrig.
In a yard setting, thin veneer stones have many uses. Outdoor kitchens and fireplaces are two potential applications for thin veneer stones. Certain manufacturers are now making the shells of fireplaces and outdoor cabinets to specifications needed for covering the products with thin veneer stones [sources: First, Irwin Stone].
Whether you choose to use stone to create an outdoor kitchen area or as an accent in your garden, the wide variety within this natural material allows for a great deal of personalization to create the perfect look for the hardscaping in your outdoor space.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- American Institute of Architects, The. "Housing Downturn and Growing Interest in Containing Energy Costs Result in Smaller Home Size and Volumes, Strong Preferences for Outdoor Living Options and Accessibility." June 29, 2009. (Dec. 4, 2009) http://www.ala.org/press/AIAB080345
- ASTM International. "About ASTM International." (Dec. 10, 2009) http://www.astm.org/ABOUT/aboutASTM.html
- Beuchel Stone. "Frequently Asked Questions." (Dec. 8, 2009) http://www.buechelstone.com/homeowner/faq.asp#4
- Bradley-Hole, Kathryn. Stone, Rock and Gravel. Cassell & Co., 2000.
- Davitt, Keith. Hardscaping: how to use structures, pathways, patios & ornaments for your garden. Sterling Publishing Co., 2006.
- First, Larry. President of Lang Stone Company. Personal Interview. Dec. 4, 2009.
- Flynn Stone Products & Fabrication. "Products." (Dec. 9, 2009) http://www.flynnstonerocks.com/products/
- Geo. Schofield Co. Inc. "Decorative Gravel." (Dec. 7, 2009) http://www.geoschofield.com/decorative_gravel.htm
- Harding, R. R., R. F. Symes and Paul Taylor. Rocks, Fossils & Gems. DK Publishing, Inc., 1997.
- Hawk Brothers Mason & Patio Supplies. "Stone benches." (Dec. 9, 2009) http://www.hawkbros.com/benches.php
- Hill, John. Indiana Geological Survey. "Indiana Limestone." http://igs.indiana.edu/geology/minres/indianalimestone/index.cfm
- Irwin Stone. "Irwin Stone Blog: Freestanding Outdoor Fireplaces." Aug. 1, 2009. (Dec. 8, 2009) http://www.irwinstone.com/79-freestanding-outdoor-fireplaces
- Lambert, David and the Diagram Group. The Field Guide to Geology. Diagram Visual Information, Ltd., 1988.
- Lang Stone Company. "Landscape Boulders & Slabs." (Dec. 9, 2009) http://www.langstone.com/lbs_main.htm
- Lawrence, Mike. Step-by-Step Outdoor Stonework. Storey Communications, 1995.
- Missouri Limestone Producers Association. "About Limestone." (Dec. 6, 2009) http://www.molimestone.com/index/php?page=info/main
- Nevada Legislature. "Nevada Facts." (Dec. 7, 2009) http://www.leg.state.nz.us/general/FACTS.cfm
- Pacific Stonescape. "Flagstone." (Dec. 9, 2009) http://www.pacificstonescape.com/home/pse/smartlist_7/flagstone.html
- Pough, Frederick. Rocks and Minerals. Houghton Mifflin Company, 1996.
- Powell, Darryl. Mineral Information Institute. "Quartzite." (Dec. 6, 2009) http://www.mii.org/Minerals/photoquartzite.html
- Public Broadcasting System. Building Big. "Skyscraper: Empire State Building." (Dec. 7, 2009) http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/wonder/structure/empire_state.html
- Pulver, Liz. Landscape architect licensed in New York and California. Personal correspondence. Dec. 6, 2009.
- Rist, Curtis, Vicky Webster and the Editors of Sunset Books. Pools and Spas. Sunset Publishing, 2008.
- Roehrig, Peter. General Manager at Valders Stone & Marble, Inc. Personal correspondence. December 12, 2009.
- Stone Network, The. "Limestone Colors." (Dec. 7, 2009) http://stone-network.com/slab_images/thumbnails.php?album=7&page=2
- Stoneyard.com. "Products." (Dec. 8, 2009) http://www.stoneyard.com/products/
- Walks, Walls & Patios. Creative Homeowner, 2004.
Using less water on gardening doesn't have to mean less of a garden. Learn how to save 30 percent of your gardening water just by watering at the right time of day in this article.