You Can Protest the Appraisal
If you're the seller and you feel that the appraisal came in lower than it should have, you can protest it. Contact the lender and find out what their procedure is for appraisal disputes. But you're going to need to be armed with documentation to support your argument.
Be sure to include photos and a record of all improvements, as well as comps of other houses that should have been included. Your real estate agent should be able to look at the ones that were used for the appraisal and help you come up with better comps.
However, know that only the mortgage lender can require a second appraisal. If the lender rejects your request for reconsideration (or it doesn't change the property value), you can pay for an appraisal on your own and see if you get different results.
- Angie's List. "Home Appraisals" (June 25, 2019) https://www.angieslist.com/research/home-appraisal/
- Cleaver, Joanne. "4 Ways to Sell Your House Faster." Moneywatch.bnet.com, March 14, 2011. http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money/article/house-for-sale-4-ways-to-sell-your-home-faster/414678/
- Cohen, Aubrey. "Home appraisers pressured to fudge the numbers." Seattlepi.com, 2010. http://www.seattlepi.com/local/325743_appraiser31.html
- Curry, Sheree R. "10 Things You Should Know About the New Appraisal Rules." Realestate.aol.com, February 9, 2010.http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2010/02/09/10-things-you-should-know-about-the-new-appraisal-rules/
- Fields, Noble. Personal Interview. https://www.noblefields.com/ (June 25, 2019)
- Fisher, Jeanette. "How Appraisal Values: How to Avoid a Low Appraisal." Sideroad.com, 2010.http://www.sideroad.com/Real_Estate/home-appraisal-values.html
- Gassett, Bill. "Appraisal Myths Too Many People Believe. " Max Real Estate Exposure. Sept. 25,, 2017 (June 25, 2019) https://www.maxrealestateexposure.com/appraisal-myths-sellers-believe/
- Gibbs, Lisa. "Real estate appraisers take it on the chin." Cnnmoney.com, July 26, 2010. http://moremoney.blogs.money.cnn.com/2009/07/26/real-estate-appraisers-take-it-on-the-chin/
- Harmatz, Josh. "5 Ways to Maximize Your Appraised Home Value." Money-rates.com, 2010.http://www.money-rates.com/advancedstrategies/mortgage/5-ways-to-maximize-your-appraised-home-value.htm
- Lu, Xin. "Are the new home appraisal rules good for consumers?" wisebread.com, June 30, 2009. http://www.wisebread.com/are-the-new-home-appraisal-rules-good-for-consumers
- Pickert, Kate. "A Brief History of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." Time.com, July 14, 2008. http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1822766,00.html
- Roth, J.D. "Understanding Your Home Appraisal." Getrichslowly.org, August 26, 2009.http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/08/26/understanding-your-home-appraisal/
- "The Federal Housing Administration (FHA)." Hud.gov, 2010. http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/fhahistory.cfm
- Weintraub, Elizabeth. "How to Deal With a Low Appraisal." The Balance. April 3, 2019 (June 25, 2019) https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-deal-with-a-low-appraisal-1798414
- Webber, Mary. "Real Estate Appraisals - Ten things most people just don't understand about them." Wisebread.com, August 23, 2008.http://www.wisebread.com/real-estate-appraisals-ten-things-most-people-just-dont-understand-about-them
HowStuffWorks look at the legal steps you need to take to evict a guest who has overstayed their welcome.