In cases where your appraisal comes in below what you hypothesize to be fair, you don't have to lie down and take it. You can go to the lender and protest it, but you're going to need to be armed with documentation to support your argument. Be sure to include photos and a record of all improvements, as well as comps of other houses that should have been included. Your real estate agent should be able to look at the ones that were used for the appraisal and help you come up with better comps. You can also fork over the cash for your own appraiser and take that with you, if it comes in considerably higher than the first one.
- Cleaver, Joanne. "4 Ways to Sell Your House Faster." Moneywatch.bnet.com, March 14, 2011. http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money/article/house-for-sale-4-ways-to-sell-your-home-faster/414678/
- Cohen, Aubrey. "Home appraisers pressured to fudge the numbers." Seattlepi.com, 2010. http://www.seattlepi.com/local/325743_appraiser31.html
- Curry, Sheree R. "10 Things You Should Know About the New Appraisal Rules." Realestate.aol.com, February 9, 2010.http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2010/02/09/10-things-you-should-know-about-the-new-appraisal-rules/
- Gibbs, Lisa. "Real estate appraisers take it on the chin." Cnnmoney.com, July 26, 2010. http://moremoney.blogs.money.cnn.com/2009/07/26/real-estate-appraisers-take-it-on-the-chin/
- Harmatz, Josh. "5 Ways to Maximize Your Appraised Home Value." Money-rates.com, 2010.http://www.money-rates.com/advancedstrategies/mortgage/5-ways-to-maximize-your-appraised-home-value.htm
- Fisher, Jeanette. "How Appraisal Values: How to Avoid a Low Appraisal." Sideroad.com, 2010.http://www.sideroad.com/Real_Estate/home-appraisal-values.html
- "How-to's: What to do if your home doesn't appraise at the price you want to sell?" bhgrealestate.com, 2010. http://www.bhgrealestate.com/Learn/Buying-and-Selling/How-to%E2%80%99s--What-to-do-if-your-home-doesn%E2%80%99t-appraise-at-the-price-you-want-to-sell-.html
- Lu, Xin. "Are the new home appraisal rules good for consumers?" wisebread.com, June 30, 2009. http://www.wisebread.com/are-the-new-home-appraisal-rules-good-for-consumers
- Pickert, Kate. "A Brief History of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." Time.com, July 14, 2008. http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1822766,00.html
- Roth, J.D. "Understanding Your Home Appraisal." Getrichslowly.org, August 26, 2009.http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/08/26/understanding-your-home-appraisal/
- "The Federal Housing Administration (FHA)." Hud.gov, 2010. http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/fhahistory.cfm
- Webber, Mary. "Real Estate Appraisals - Ten things most people just don't understand about them." Wisebread.com, August 23, 2008.http://www.wisebread.com/real-estate-appraisals-ten-things-most-people-just-dont-understand-about-them
HowStuffWorks look at the legal steps you need to take to evict a guest who has overstayed their welcome.