Your community may not be green yet, but that doesn't mean that it isn't moving in the right direction. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has a program in place that helps communities implement more environmentally friendly and sustainable practices. Through publications, grants and technical assistance, the EPA's Smart Growth program encourages communities to preserve open spaces, protect farmland, create walkable areas, offer multiple transportation options and cultivate compact building design [source: EPA].
The EPA encourages local and regional action plans that anticipate and prevent environmental problems, conserve natural resources, like water and wildlife, and encourage quality over quantity. Under their guidelines, good community planning treats natural ecosystems and open land as precious resources and takes the potential environmental consequences of community projects into account before acting.
A greener approach to community planning will help protect the wealth and diversity of our environment so it will be around for future generations to enjoy.
Related How Stuff Works Articles
More Great Links
- 4EcoTips.com. " 80% of World Energy Still Comes From Fossil Fuels" Undated. 2/20/09.http://www.4ecotips.com/eco/article_show.php?aid=833&id=286
- American Permaculture Directory. "Glossary." Undated. 3/12/09.http://www.permaculture.net/apd/partial_pc_glossary.htm
- Bunch, Bryan and Jenny Tesar. "Discover Science Almanac." Hyperion. 2003.
- CBSNews.com. "Renewable Energy Sources." Undated. 2/19/09.http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/energy/renewable/framesource_renewables.html
- Cyclescheme. "Get Your Company On Board." Undated. 3/20/09http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/employee,intro.htm
- Desert USA. "Biosphere 2 Center." Undated. 3/12/09.http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/apr/stories/bios2.html
- Environmental Protection Agency. "Getting To Smart Growth - 100 Policies for Implementation." Undated. 2/10/09.http://www.smartgrowth.org/pdf/gettosg.pdf
- Environmental Protection Agency. "Getting To Smart Growth" Undated. 2/10/09.http://www.epa.gov/smartgrowth/getting_to_sg2.htm
- Environmental Protection Agency. "Green Communities." Undated. 2/10/09.http://epa.gov/greenkit/sustain.htm
- Environmental Protection Agency. "How Do We Get There? - Community Involvement." Undated. 2/10/09.http://epa.gov/greenkit/community4.htm
- Environmental Protection Agency. "Let's Go." Undated. 2/10/09.http://epa.gov/greenkit/community5.htm.
- Environmental Protection Agency. "Smart Growth?" Undated. 2/10/09.http://www.epa.gov/smartgrowth/basic_info.htm
- Environmental Protection Agency. "Socio-Economic Tools - Solid Waste." Undated. 2/20/09.http://www.epa.gov/greenkit/waste.htm
- Environmental Protection Agency. "Water Sense Labeled Toilets." 2/29/2008. 3/12/09.http://www.epa.gov/WaterSense/pubs/het.htm
- Environmental Protection Agency. "Where Do We Want to Be?" Undated. 2/10/09.http://epa.gov/greenkit/intro3.htm
- Fortson, Danny. "Green City Rises From Desert." Times Online. 2/1/09. 2/11/09.http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/construction_and_property/article5627571.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1
- Gore, Al. "Earth in the Balance." Penguin Books USA Ltd. 1992.
- Green Community Technologies. "Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater." Undated. 3/20/09.http://www.greencommunitytechnologies.com/applications/water.html
- Green Living. "Dual Flush Toilet." Undated. 2/15/09.http://greenliving.lovetoknow.com/Dual_Flush_Toilet
- Green, Tom. "How Green Are You." Planet Green. Undated. 3/19/09.http://planetgreen.discovery.com/games-quizzes/tom-green-quiz-game.html
- Heathcote Community. "What is Sustainable Living?" Undated. 3/12/09.http://www.heathcote.org/PCIntro/1SustainableLiving.htm
- Horton, Jennifer. "How Sustainable Communities Work." Undated. 3/12/09.https://science.howstuffworks.com/sustainable-community.htm
- Hull. "History of Hull's Wind Project." Citizens for Alternative Renewable Energy. 2006. 3/15/09.http://www.hullwind.org/history.php
- Lee, Jeffrey. " Going Green With Extraordinary Water Conservation Measures." 6/26/08.3/15/09.http://www.ecohomemagazine.com/news/going-green-with-extraordinary-water-conservation-measures.aspx
- Madeley, John. "Food for All." University Press Ltd. 2002.
- Permaculture.Net. "About Permaculture - Definitions." Undated. 3/14/09.http://www.permaculture.net/about/definitions.html
- Permaculture.Net. "What is Permaculture - A Brief Introduction" 1994. 3/14/09.http://www.permaculture.net/about/brief_introduction.html
- USGS. "The Water Cycle: Freshwater Storage." Undated. 3/18/09.http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/watercyclefreshstorage.html
- Van der Ryn Sim and Stuart Cowan. "Ecological Design." Island Press. 1996.