Maintaining Tinted Windows
After installing window films, maintaining them is the next priority. Window films can be cleaned only after they've been fully cured. Most window cleaning solutions can also be used on window films. Alternative cleaning solutions also include vinegar and water or soap and water solutions. Most manufacturers and installers do recommend avoiding abrasives, from chemicals to rough paper towels.
Even with perfect maintenance, window films can need to be replaced over time. The average lifespan of window film ranges from about 10 to 15 years. Most film manufacturers offer at least a five-year warranty, while other films come with lifetime warranties.
Some film manufacturers will extend the warranty to the glass in the window, as well. This extension is usually made because making a change to the glass, such as adding window film, can void the window manufacturer's warranty. It's important to know all of the warranty information on both your windows and the window film before installation.
While window film is removable, some films come off more easily than others. Many professionally installed films have to be scraped off of the windows. While do-it-yourself films are easier to remove, they still can't be reused because of the adhesive bond [source: Birkenmeier].
For more information on tinting the windows in your home, other energy-efficient tricks and related topics, see the helpful links on the following page. You may be able to save your furniture and some money at the same time.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- 3M. "3M Window Films: Frequently Asked Questions." (Dec. 15, 2008) http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WF/3MWindowFilms/Products/FAQs/
- 3M. "3M Window Film Prestige Series." (Dec. 8, 2008) http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/scpd/prestige/residential.html
- American Window Tinting, Inc. "Frequently Asked Questions." (Dec. 11, 2008) http://www.awtint.com/faq's.htm
- Austin Energy. "Home Performance with ENERGY STAR Rebate." (Dec. 11, 2008) http://www.austinenergy.com/Energy%20Efficiency/Programs/Rebates/Residential/Home%20Performance%20with%20Energy%20Star/index.htm
- Birkenmeier, Dan. Personal Interview. Dec. 15, 2008. Sales and Marketing Manager, Retail Window Films, CP Films Inc.
- City of Lodi Electic Utility. "Lodi Energy Efficiency Home Improvement Rebate Program." (Dec. 11, 2008) http://www.lodielectric.com/residential/rebateoffer.php?id=5
- Decorative Films, LLC. "Solyx Decorative Window Films Installation Instructions." (Dec. 11, 2008) http://www.decorativefilm.com/installation.asp
- ENERGY STAR. "Are Window Films Covered By The Tax Credit?" (Dec. 15, 2008) http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/energystar.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3094&p_created=1179859573&p_sid=OI11Sqlj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19 jbnQ9MzYsMzYmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0mc F9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD13aW5kb3cgZmlsbXM*&p_li=&p_topview=1
- Enpro Distributing, Inc. "Residential Window Film FAQs." (Dec. 17, 2008) http://www.enprodistributing.com/products/residential/faq.cfm
- Garware Suncontrol Window Film. "Knowledge Center." (Dec. 12, 2008) http://garwaresuncontrol.com/knowledge/faqs.html
- Gila. "Gila Window Film Fact Sheet." (Dec. 15, 2008) http://www.gilafilms.com/pdf/GilaFactSheet.pdf
- Gila. "Residential Window Film Installation Instructions." 2006. (Dec. 15, 2008) http://www.gilafilms.com/Residential/Residential-film-application.htm
- Glass Protection Solutions. "F.A.Q." (Dec. 15, 2008) http://www.protectmyglass.com/FAQ.html
- Hawks, Beth. Personal interview. Conducted. December 10, 2008. CoreComm PR, Representative of Gila Film Products.
- Hüper Optik USA. "Ceramic Series: The Smarter Choice." (Dec. 13, 2008) http://www.huperoptikusa.com/products_ceramic.cfm
- ImpruVu Custom Window Tinting. "Frequently Asked Questions." (Dec. 11, 2008)
- International Window Film Association. "Frequently Asked Questions and Answers." (Dec. 9, 2008) http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/consumer_info/qa.html
- International Window Film Association. "Product Information." (Dec. 9, 2008) http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Consumer_Info/productinfo.html
- Johnson Window Films. "How Window Film Affects Glass." (Dec. 15, 2008.) http://www.johnsonwindowfilms.com/AFFE.php
- King, Tom. Personal interview. Dec. 11, 2008. Regional Manager, V-Kool Inc.
- The Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia. "Radiation." Kingfisher Publications; Boston, 2006.
- The Library of Congress. "Everyday Mysteries: Why Does Ultraviolet Light Cause Color To Fade?" (Dec. 12, 2008) http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/colors.html
- Morrill, John and Alex Wilson. Consumer Guide to Home Energy Savings. American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy; Washington D.C., 1998.
- Mount, Kelly. Personal interview. Dec. 9, 2008. Matter Communications, Representative for Bekaert Specialty Films.
- National Institutes of Health. "New Federal 'Report on Carcinogens' Lists Estrogen Therapy, Ultraviolet, Wood Dust." Dec. 11, 2002. (Dec. 12, 2008) http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/dec2002/niehs-11.htm
- Palmilla Homeowners Association. "Home Page." (Dec. 11. 2008) http://palmillahomeowners.com/
- Panorama Window Films. "Fast Facts." (Dec. 17, 2008) http://www.panoramafilm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/About.Panorama
- The Skin Cancer Foundation. "Guide to Recommended Products. (Dec. 11, 2008) www.skincancer.org/Guide-to-Recommended-Products/Guide-to-Recommended-Products.html
- The Skin Cancer Foundation. "2008 Skin Care Facts." (Dec. 12, 2008) http://www.skincancer.org/Skin-Cancer/2008-Skin-Cancer-Facts.html
- Solar Control Films, Inc. "About Window Film." (Dec. 15, 2008) http://solarcontrolfilmsinc.com/id1.html
- Solar Gard Window Films. "Glossary." (Dec. 10, 2008) http://www.solargard.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Residential.FAQs/Residential-Glossary.htm
- Solar Gard Window Films. "How Solar Gard Window Film Saves Energy." (Dec. 10, 2008) http://www.solargard.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Energy.How/Energy-How-Window-Film-Saves-Energy.htm
- Solar Gard Window Films. "Solar Gard Window Films: It's All About Performance." (Dec. 10, 2008) http://www.solargard.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/About.SG/About-About-Solar-Gard.htm
- Sun-Chek. "Frequently Asked Questions." (Dec. 15, 2008) http://www.sun-chek.com/faqs.html
- U.S. Department of Energy--Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. "A Consumer's Guide to Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy--Windows." (Dec. 9, 2008) http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/windows_doors_skylights/index.cfm/mytopic=13330
- U.S. Department of Energy--Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. "Energy Savers: Heating and Cooling." (Dec. 9, 2008) http://www1.eere.energy.gov/consumer/tips/printable_versions/heating_cooling.html
- V-Kool USA. "Residential." (Dec. 9, 2008) http://www.v-kool-usa.com/residential-window-film
- V-Kool USA. "Window Solar Film." (Dec. 11, 2008) http://www.v-kool-usa.com/window-solar-film
- Waikele Community Association. "Modifications Committee Rules and Guidelines." August 1, 2007. (Dec. 11, 2008) http://www.waikeleohana.com/Rules07.htm