Lots More Information
Companies have rekindled the fire grenade, made it simple and nontoxic, and dubbed it the throwable fire extinguisher. Learn more at HowStuffWorks.
- A Guide to Home Safety
- Is insulation dangerous?
- How the EPA Works
- How Ozone Pollution Works
- How Radon Works
- How to Install Carpeting
- How Laser Printers Work
- How can ozone be both good and bad?
- How to Prevent Garden Pests
- What is in a moth ball?
- Is it safer to remove asbestos from a building or leave it there?
- What's with China and lead poisoning?
More Great Links
- American Association of Poison Control Centers. "2006 Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System." Dec. 1, 2007. (May 29, 2008)http://www.aapcc.org/archive/Annual%20Reports/06Report/2006%20Annual%20Report%20Final.pdf
- CBC News. "Office Printers Emit Hazardous Particles." Oct. 22, 2007. (May 30, 2008)http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/10/22/printer-study.html
- CBS News. "Toxic Baby Bottles?" Feb. 7, 2008. (May 29, 2008)http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/07/health/main3804860.shtml
- Cone, Marla. "Researchers Link Flame Retardants to Hazards." Los Angeles Times. Aug. 25, 2003.
- Consumer Reports. "Wall-to-wall Carpeting." November 2007. (May 29, 2008)http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/home-dcor/furnishings-dcor/carpet/walltowall-carpeting-buying-advice-604/overview/
- Davis, Tony. "Worst pollution risks increasingly indoors: Not so sweet home: Toxins lurk in air, dust, even cleaning supplies." McClatchy -- Tribune Business News. Nov. 30, 2007.
- Duncan, David Ewing. "The Pollution Within." National Geographic. October 2006. (May 29, 2008)http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0610/feature4/
- He, Congrong; Morawska, Lidia and Taplin, Len. "Particle Emissions Characteristics of Laser Printers." Environmental Science and Technology. 2007. (May 29, 2008)http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/sample.cgi/esthag/2007/41/i17/pdf/es063049z.pdf
- Kagi, Naoki; Fujii, Shuji; Horiba, Youhei; Namiki, Norikazu; Ohtani, Yoshio; Emi, Hitoshi; Tamura, Hajime and Kim, Yong Shik. "Indoor air quality from chemical and ultrafine particle contaminants from printers." Building and Environment. May 2007. (May 29, 2008)http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V23-4MFJJ3G-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=c8e924f27fcb55de231ad81ec76010ce
- Lipton, Eric S. and Barboza, David. "As More Toys are Recalled, Trail Ends in China." The New York Times. June 19, 2007. (May 29, 2008)http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/19/business/worldbusiness/19toys.html?pagewanted=1
- National Pesticides Telecommunications Networks. "Pesticides in Indoor Air of Homes." Feb. 22, 2001. (May 29, 2008)http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/air_gen.pdf
- ScienceDaily "Many Cleaners, Air Fresheners May Pose Health Risks When Used Indoors." University of California - Berkeley. May 24, 2008. (May 28, 2008)http://www.sciencedaily.com /releases/2006/05/060524123900.htm
- The Working Group for Safe Markets. "Baby's Toxic Bottles." (May 29, 2008)http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/BabysToxicBottle.pdf
- Underwood, Anne. "The Chemicals Within." Newsweek. Feb. 4, 2008. (May 29, 2008)http://www.newsweek.com/id/105588
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "National Report on Human Exposure to Chemicals -- Spotlight on Bisphenol-A." May 2008. (May 29, 2008)http://www.cdc.gov/exposurereport/pdf/factsheet_bisphenol.pdf
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "National Report on Human Exposure to Chemicals -- Spotlight on Phthalates." Updated January 2007. (May 29, 2008)http://www.cdc.gov/exposurereport/pdf/factsheet_phthalates.pdf
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "National Report on Human Exposure to Chemicals -- Spotlight on Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers and Polybrominated Biphenyls" February 2008. (May 29, 2008)http://www.cdc.gov/exposurereport/pdf/factsheet_pbde.pdf
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. "The Inside Story: A Guide to Indoor Air Quality." Office of Air and Radiation. Updated April 25, 2008. (May 29, 2008)http://epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidest.html#Intro2
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. "Phthalates and Cosmetics." Updated Feb. 7, 2008. (May 29, 2008)http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/cos-phth.html
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. "Bisphenol A (BPA)." April 14, 2008. (June 11, 2008)