Whenever you start landscaping, you're never really finished. Plants grow, annuals die and roots dry out. For that reason, don't squander your hard work by neglecting your newly landscaped yard. Putting those plants in the ground costs a bit of money, but it also costs you time. Unless you want to do that over and over again, maintain the pristine appearance by spending time in your yard on a regular basis. Pluck some weeds from the flower beds every few days. Trim the shrubbery when it starts to lose its form.
If you don't relish the thought of becoming a weekend gardener, native plants could be the answer. Natives demand the least amount of attention because they're already tailored to your climate. Ornamental grasses, such as Pampas, are smart alternatives to turf lawns since they need only one cutting per season.
Or, with all of the money you saved on landscaping, perhaps you can afford to hire someone to do the dirty work for you. Whether recruiting a teenager from your neighborhood or bringing in a professional lawn care service, you have plenty of options for upkeep. Even if it costs a little extra, the enjoyment you'll get from having a beautiful landscape is priceless.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- "12 Money-Saving Landscaping Tips." Better Home and Gardens. (Dec. 8, 2008)http://www.bhg.com/gardening/landscaping-projects/landscape-basics/money-saving-landscaping-tips/
- Archer, Ann. "17 ways to landscape on the cheap." MSN Real Estate. (Dec. 8, 2008)http://realestate.msn.com/lawns/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=409676
- Carroll, Joyce L. "Landscaping for Increased Property Value." (Dec. 8, 2008)http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Landscaping_for_Increased_Property_Value-Home_Selling-A1814.html
- "Dirt-Cheap Landscaping." HGTV. (Dec. 8, 2008)http://www.hgtv.com/gl-design-tips-techniques/dirt-cheap-landscaping/index.html
- Garskof, Josh. "7 Landscaping Tips." CNN Money. June 22, 2007. (Dec. 8, 2008)http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/01/real_estate/landscapingtips_juneissue.moneymag/index.htm
- Grant, Kelli B. "Cheap Landscaping Tricks." Smart Money. March 24, 2006. (Dec. 8, 2008)http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/deals/cheap-landscaping-tricks-19227/
- "Landscaping for Less: 8 Money-Saving Tips." Reader's Digest.http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/landscaping-for-less-8-money-saving-tips/article15712.html
- "The Dirt on Budget Landscaping." DIY Network. (Dec. 8, 2008)http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gr_lawns_landscaping/article/0,2029,DIY_13852_5502354,00.html
- "The Promises and Challenges of Native Landscaping." Purdue University. Updated June 29, 2005. (Dec. 8, 2008)http://www.purdue.edu/envirosoft/lawn/src/promise.htm#cheap
- "The Value of Plants and Landscaping." American Nursery & Landscapers Association. (Dec. 8, 2008)http://www.anla.org/industry/statistics/index.htm
Using less water on gardening doesn't have to mean less of a garden. Learn how to save 30 percent of your gardening water just by watering at the right time of day in this article.