In your initial search for a listing agent, you will have conversations with a wide variety of agents before you settle on the one that is best for you and your property. You'll chat about the market at local open houses, ask prospective agents to see comparative market analyses for your home, and maybe even chat with friends or relatives who have their real estate licenses. During this process, you need to be extremely careful about making any kind of oral commitment without signing a formal listing agreement. That written agreement protects your rights and the agent's. It ensures that they won't represent anyone but you in the transaction, and it obligates you to pay them a commission after they close the deal. Without that agreement, sharing too much information about yourself, your home and your financial situation with a prospective agent is a bad idea. If you ultimately don't sign an agreement with that agent, they could circulate information among other agents and prospective buyers, which could compromise your agent's ability to negotiate the best deal.
More Great Links
- Baker, Pam. "5 Financial Divorce Tips." Divorce 360. (Nov. 2, 2010)http://www.divorce360.com/divorce-articles/law/settlement/5-financial-divorce-tips.aspx?artid=396
- Boyd, Patricia, and Lonny Coffey. "How to Buy and Sell Your Home Without Getting Ripped Off." Dearborn Financial Publishing. 2000.
- Carr, M. Anthony. "Fair Housing More Than Just Skin Color." April 27, 2007. (Nov. 9, 2010)http://realtytimes.com/rtpages/20070427_fairhousing.htm
- Davis, Sid. "A Survival Guide to Selling a Home." American Management Association. 2005.
- Evans, Blanche. "Motivated Sellers Shouldn't Show Distress to Buyers." Realty Times. June 8, 2007. (Nov. 4, 2010).http://realtytimes.com/rtpages/20070608_motivatedseller.htm
- Hill, Carla. "Sellers: Don't Let Emotions Rule." Realty Times. (Nov 8, 2010).http://realtytimes.com/rtpages/20101111_emotions.htm
- Lank, Edith, and Dena Amoruso. "The Homeseller's Kit." Dearborn Financial Publishing. 2001.
- North Carolina Real Estate Commission. "Working With Real Estate Agents. (Nov. 4, 2010)http://www.ncrec.state.nc.us/publications-bulletins/WorkingWith.html
- Riddle, Laura. "Sell Your Home Now." Atlantic Publishing Group. 2010.
- Smart Money. "10 Things Your Real Estate Broker Will Not Tell You." Yahoo! Finance. (Nov. 3, 2010)http://finance.yahoo.com/education/real_estate/article/101456/10_Things_Your_Real_Estate_Broker_Wont_Tell_You
- Stephens, George and Charles Jacobus. "Disclosing murder, referral fees." Texas Real Estate. July 3, 2006. (Nov. 3, 2010)http://www.texasrealestate.com/web/1/11/more/George070306.cfm
- Tyson, Eric, and Ray Brown. "House Selling for Dummies." Wiley Publishing. 2002.
- Weissman, Marc S. "Disclosure Regarding Death." Weiss & Weissman. 1996. (Nov. 2, 2010)http://www.wwlaw.com/death.htm
- Wolfson, Judi and Elaine Shreiber. "What Sellers Should Never Say to Buyers." Realty Times. July 24, 1998. (Nov 8, 2010)http://realtytimes.com/rtpages/19980724_neversay.htm
- Zeller, Dirk. "Proper Listing Price Strategies for Any Market." Realty Times. April 9, 2010. (Nov. 9, 2010)http://realtytimes.com/rtpages/20100409_pricing.htm
HowStuffWorks look at the legal steps you need to take to evict a guest who has overstayed their welcome.