Lots More Information
Author's Note: How Self-cleaning Ovens Work
A friend of mine wrote a book about green cleaning methods. She enlightened me about the many toxic chemicals that we scatter about our homes in the interest of cleanliness. The fact is that the dirt and germs we go to war against are probably less harmful than the weapons we use to fight them. Researching this article has reminded me that oven cleaner is one to avoid. A self-cleaning oven is a better deal as long as you ventilate and keep away from the fumes.
- Baldwin, Charles, et al. "Advanced Coatings for the Home of Tomorrow," Appliance Magazine, December 2006. (June 1, 2012) http://www.appliancemagazine.com/editorial.php?article=1632&zone=1&first=1
- Consumer Reports "Kenmore Elite 9991 with induction cooktop: First Look." December 2008. (June 5, 2012) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/kitchen-appliances/ranges/first-look-kenmore-elite-9991-with-induction-cooktop/overview/first-look-kenmore-elite-9991-with-induction-cooktop.htm
- Di Justo, Patrick. "What's Inside: Foamalicious, Vaporlicious Easy-Off Oven Cleaner," Wired Magazine, May 19, 2008. (June 1, 2012) http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-06/st_easyoff
- Field, Anne. "Continuous-Clean Oven Cleaning," Michigan State University Extension, June 24, 2003. (June 1, 2012) http://www.msue.msu.edu/objects/content_revision/download.cfm/revision_id.493834/workspace_id.-4/01500239.html/
- GE Appliances. "kitchens of tomorrow, today." (June 1, 2012) http://www.geappliances.com/build-with-ge/downloads/kitchens_of_tomorrow_today.pdf
- GE Appliances. "Free-standing, Slide-in and Drop-in Electric Ranges." (June 1, 2012) http://products.geappliances.com/MarketingObjectRetrieval/Dispatcher?RequestType=PDF&Name=49-80633-2.pdf
- Halverson, Adam. "Self-cleaning Barbecue," The Family Handyman, October 2009, page 84.
- KitchenAid. "Tips for using the Self-Cleaning feature - Ranges and built-in ovens." (June 1, 2012) http://kitchenaid.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1708/~/tips-for-using-the-self-cleaning-feature---ranges-and-built-in-ovens
- Maker, Melissa. "How to Clean a Self-Cleaning Oven," Naturallysavvy.com, November 25, 2008. (June 1, 2012) http://www.naturallysavvy.com/cleaning-green/how-to-clean-a-self-cleaning-oven
- Urman, Darren. "How To Clean an Oven?" thehousingforum.com. (June 1, 2012) http://thehousingforum.com/how-to-clean-oven/