While universal remotes have their advantages -- remote consolidation, macro commands, glow-in-the-dark features -- they can also be a real chore to set up. Before you purchase a universal remote, you may want to examine what you hope to get out of the purchase.
Are you looking to simplify your remote control programming but don't know where to start? If so, you may not want to buy a complicated remote with lots of features that can be accessed only by scrolling through multiple menu options. A simple, inexpensive multibrand remote could be a good choice for you. On the other hand, if money isn't an issue, you could pay an installer to program your high-end, top-of-the-line universal remote.
But if you're looking for a universal remote that can operate all of your electronics' complex functions, a basic universal remote likely won't cut it. You may want to opt for a higher-end model with the capacity to store a great deal of programming. But beware of feature overload -- unless you know that you'll use all the functions on your remote, choose one that has only the features you need.
For more information on universal remotes, see the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Biggs, John. "The Universal Remote Dormant in Your Smartphone." The New York Times. Mar. 18, 2009. (accessed on 12/18/09) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/technology/personaltech/19basics.html
- Graves, Ralph. "Universal Remotes: Command Central in the Palm of Your Hand." Crutchfield. October 3, 2008. (accessed on 12/15/09) http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/home/universalremotes.html
- DeLeo, Jennifer. "10 Wacky Wi-Fi-enabled Products." PC Magazine. Feb. 8, 2008 (accessed on 12/18/09) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2257195,00.asp
- Hunch. "Universal Remote Controls." (accessed on 12/18/09) http://hunch.com/universal-remote-controls/?SEMref=Google1&kw=universal%20remote%20controls&gclid=CN-2utGy3p4CFdx05Qod6QpVJQ%23s.15244.15258.
- Larson, Travis. "How to Use Universal Remote Controls for TV and DVD." Reader's Digest. (accessed on 12/15/09) http://www.rd.com/how-to-use-universal-remote-controls-for-tv-and-dvd/article37276.html
- Logitech. "See if Harmony supports your Home-entertainment setup." (accessed on 12/15/09) http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/New/Main.asp?WebProcessAction=Start&ReturnUrl=%2FEasyZapper%2F%2E%2FNew%2FProcSpice%2Flanding%2Easp&ClassId=PrSpice%2EProcSpice&RelativePath=ProcSpice%2F
- Pollick, Michael. "What Should I Consider When Buying a Universal Remote Control?"
- RemoteCentral.com. "Glossary of Remote Control Terms." (accessed on 12/18/09) http://www.remotecentral.com/features/glossary1.htm
- RemoteCentral.com. "Features." (accessed on 12/18/09) http://www.remotecentral.com/features/premotes.htm#rf
- RemoteCentral.com. "Tips & Tricks to Learning Infrared Codes." (accessed on 12/18/09) http://www.remotecentral.com/features/irtips.htm