Oil Furnace Maintenance Tips
- During the heating season, check the smoke from the chimney. If the smoke is black, the furnace is not burning the oil completely and fuel is being wasted. Call a professional service person for adjustments.
- Clean the blower at the beginning of the heating season and again about midway through the season.
- Clean soot from the stack control about midway through the heating season.
- If the blower motor has grease or oil fittings, lubricate the fittings midway through the heating season with cup grease or 10-weight nondetergent motor oil (not all-purpose oil), available at hardware stores.
- Clean the thermostat before each heating season.
For more articles on home repair, check out the following links.
- Furnace Maintenance: Save yourself time and money by learning the steps to keep youor furnace in prime condition.
- Major Appliance Repair: If the furnace isn't the only thing in your house on the fritz, you can learn how to fix other machines in this article.
- Small Appliance Repair: Once you've tackled the furnace, a toaster or blender seems like child's play. Find out how to fix them here.
- Thermostat Maintenance: To make sure there's actually a problem with your heating system, you may want to check the thermostat, too. Learn how to calibrate a thermostat.