If you look around your house, you will find lots of different devices whose goal in life is to either detect or measure changes in temperature:
- The thermometer in the backyard tells you how hot or cold it is outside.
- The meat and candy thermometers in the kitchen measure food temperatures.
- The thermometer in the furnace tells it when to turn on and off.
- The thermometer in the oven lets it keep a set temperature (hot).
- The thermometer in the refrigerator lets it keep a set temperature (cold).
- The fever thermometer in the medicine cabinet measures temperature accurately over a very small range.
In this article, we will look at the different thermometer technologies used today and understand how they work. You will also get to build your own thermometer!