We think this is a great fallback feature. If you've ever set your oven timer and turned on the vacuum, the water or the TV, only to miss the buzzing long enough for your fish sticks to incinerate, you can appreciate the value of an oven that shuts itself off after the programmed cooking time has elapsed.
Delayed start can be a nice feature, too. If you want that meatloaf mixed and ready to go before you take a nice relaxing bath but don't want to start the cook cycle for an hour or so, you can delay the oven start until it's more convenient for you.
- CNET. "Stove and Range Buying Guide." 12/9/09. (1/23/12). http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-17895_7-408-5.html?tag=
- Consumer Energy Center. "Stoves, Ranges and Ovens." (1/23/12). http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/appliances/ranges.html
- Consumer Guide Products. "Oven Buying Guide." (1/23/12). https://products.howstuffworks.com/ovens-buying-guide.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Kitchen Range Buying Guide." (1/23/12). http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/kitchen-appliances/kitchen-ranges/kitchen-range-buying-advice/index.htm
- Cooking Manager. "What Features Do You Need in Your New Oven?" 4/22/11. (1/23/12). http://www.cookingmanager.com/features-oven/?wpmp_tp=1
- Eco-Coach. "Tips for Buying a New Oven." 12/7/07. (1/23/12). http://ecocoach.wordpress.com/2007/12/07/tips-for-buying-a-new-oven/
- EPA - Energy Star. "Microwaves, Ovens, and Ranges." (1/23/12). http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_mw_ovens_ranges
- Lowe's. "New Oven Range and Cooktop Features Make Life Easier." (1/23/12). http://www.lowes.com/cd_Innovative+Oven+Range+Features+Make+Life+Easier_1280350286_
- My Home Ideas. "Time for a New Oven?" (1/23/12). http://www.myhomeideas.com/specials/kitchens/time-a-new-oven-10000001868277/
- NCEITA. "Oven Features." (1/23/12). http://www.nceita.org/oven-features.html
- U.S. Department of Energy. "Home Energy Saver - Cooking Appliances." (1/23/12). http://hes.lbl.gov/consumer/help-popup/content/~consumer~nrr~cooking
- USDA. "Safe Food Handling Fact Sheet." 7/29/11. (1/23/12). http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Food_Safety_Tips_for_College_Students/index.asp
- Vandervort, Don. "Range and Oven Features." Home Tips. (1/23/12). http://www.hometips.com/buying-guides/ranges-ovens-features.html
HowStuffWorks shows you how to organize your fridge and which food to put on the top, middle and bottom shelves and in the fridge door.