Similar to mood lighting, the use of designer lighting can change the feel of a room. But whereas mood lighting changes the feel of a room -- from, say, energetic to romantic -- designer lighting changes the personality or style of a room. A good example is the newly popular "man cave," a room for the man of the house that's typically filled with sports and drinking memorabilia, a huge TV and perhaps a foosball table, pool table or dartboard. Add to the personality of this room with designer lighting such as sports lamps and, if the room includes a bar, a neon sign. Baby on the way? Prepare the nursery by installing colorful gumdrop pendant lights over the changing table and perhaps a bunny table lamp. For the nightlight? Maybe a smiling moon.
But designer lighting doesn't have to be quite so specific. If you have a modern home with sleek, contemporary lines, seek out the same in your lighting to carry through the same style. Install a saucer bubble pendant light over the kitchen table, for example, or a curving monorail lighting system over your island. Fixtures with geometric shapes and natural materials are what you're seeking. Not surprisingly, it's the opposite for those who favor a traditionally styled home. Look for pieces such as ornate chandeliers, fixtures with painted, bronze or brushed pewter finishes and overall elegance [source: Kichler].
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Blazing Glass. "1/2" Reflective Fire Glass." (Jan., 12, 2012) http://www.blazingglass.com/half-inch-reflective-fire-glass/
- Burns-Millyard, Kathy. "Home Decorating: Choosing The Right Lights for Your Look and Needs." Myinteriordecorator.com, 2007.http://myinteriordecorator.com/home-decorating-lighting.html
- Freshome. "How to Warm your Holiday Home with Festive Lighting." (Jan. 10, 2012) http://freshome.com/2011/11/22/how-to-warm-your-holiday-home-with-festive-lighting/
- GE Lighting. "Mood Lighting." (Jan. 10, 2012) http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/design_with_light/mood.htm
- Hannigan, Elizabeth. "Most Effective Outdoor Security Lights." Home & Garden Ideas. Jan. 18, 2011. (Jan. 10, 2012) http://www.homeandgardenideas.com/home-improvement/electronics/security-systems/most-effective-outdoor-security-lights
- "How To Get The Best Home Lighting." Channel4.com, October 6, 2008.http://www.channel4.com/4homes/design-style/how-to-guides/how-to-get-the-best-home-lighting-08-06-10_p_1.html
- "Indoor Light Bulbs." Lightbulbs.org, 2009.http://lightbulbs.org/indoor-light-bulbs
- Kichler. "Traditional." (Jan. 12, 2012) http://www.kichler.com/consumer/products/catStyle/TRADITIONAL
- Kinnaird, Glen. "Dos And Don'Ts [sic] For Using Holiday Lights." MiNeeds. Nov. 17, 2009. (Jan. 10, 2012) http://www.mineeds.com/New-York/Kinnaird-Designs-Interiors/Articles/Dos-and-Donts-for-using-Holiday-Lights
- "Light Bulbs." Home and Garden Guide, 2009.http://www.cleaning-guide.com/light-bulbs.html
- Phelps, Megan. "Bright Ideas for Home Lighting." Mother Earth News, April/May 2007.http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/2007-04-01/Bright-Ideas-for-Home-Lighting.aspx
- Quang, Kimberly. "Decorative Home Lighting." (Jan. 20, 2012) http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/200612/interior_design/decorative_home_lighting.html
- Residential Landscape Lighting & Design. "Outdoor Security Lights & Security Lighting Information." (Jan. 10, 2012) http://www.residential-landscape-lighting-design.com/outdoor_security_lighting.htm
- "Task Lighting. Utility savings initiative fact sheet." North Carolina State Energy Office, February 2004.http://www.energync.net/resources/docs/pubs/task.pdf.
- The Telegraph. "50 ways to improve your home: Lighting." March 25, 2008. (Jan. 10, 2012) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/renovatinganddiy/3360804/50-ways-to-improve-your-home-Lighting.html
- "Tips on Professional Lighting." HGTV.com, 2009.http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/professional-lighting/index.html
- "Types of Lighting." Sylvania.com, 2009.http://www.sylvania.com/LearnLighting/TypesOfLighting/
- Volk, Bill. "Low voltage outdoor lighting." Diylife.com, January 26, 2008.http://www.diylife.com/2008/01/26/low-voltage-outdoor-lighting/
- "What Is Task Lighting?" Wisegeek.com, 2009.http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-task-lighting.htm
Milk paint is the super inexpensive and easy to both make and use. HowStuffWorks looks at this trendy paint alternative.