I found out quickly about studs the first time I tried to hang a shelf in my house. Before that, I'd never hung anything heavy so I wasn't aware of the fact that studs are usually 16 inches apart on the center. Let's just say that there's a reason why those home improvement stores sell stud finders. After looking at pictures of buildings framed with steel studs instead of wooden studs and learning about the benefits, I have to admit that steel just seems stronger and better. I would bet that even with all of the benefits of steel studs, that notion of steel as strength has probably been a big influence on the drive toward using them in more residential buildings.
- Can your recyclables build a home?
- Can you build a house out of shipping crates?
- 10 LEED Strategies to Green Your Home
- Metal vs. Steel: Is There a Difference?
- Top 10 Green Advances in Residential Building
- CEC Consumer Energy Center. "Steel and Steel Framing." 2012. (April 13, 2012) http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/construction/steel.html
- Family Handyman Magazine. "Using Steel Studs." February 2001. (April 13, 2012) http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects/Wall---Ceiling/Framing/using-steel-studs/Step-By-Step
- NAHB Research Center. "Builder's Steel Stud Guide." October 1996. (April 13, 2012) http://www.toolbase.org/ToolbaseResources/level4DG.aspx
- NAHB Research Center. "Insulating Steel-Framed Homes." March 1996. (April 13, 2012) http://www.toolbase.org/ToolbaseResources/level4DG.aspx?ContentDetailID=1283&BucketID=3&CategoryID=30
- Robert McDonough Construction. "Steel vs. Wood." 2011. (April 13, 2012) http://rmcsteelhomes.com/steel_vs_wood.html
- Steel Framing Alliance. "About Steel Framing." 2012. (April 13, 2012) http://www.steelframing.org/aboutsteelframing.html
- Steel Stud Manufacturer's Association. "Steel and the Environment." 2008. (April 13, 2012) http://www.ssma.com/filebin/pdf/SFA_Green_Brochure_5_16.pdf
- Thermasteel Corporation. "To Steel or Not to Steel." 2011. (April 13, 2012) http://www.thermasteelcorp.com/wood.pdf