Cigarette smoke residue can take years to leech out of walls, carpeting and air conditioning ducts -- if it ever comes out at all. You might think your trusty olfactory stink-o-meter would know right away that a smoker has been at work spewing carcinogens all over your soon-to-be (maybe) home, but that might not be true. The strong smell of Febreze, ammonia, bleach and even baking cookies (how sneaky) can disguise the wicked stench. One humid afternoon soon after the sale, the rank aroma of spent ciggys could start oozing toward your unsuspecting family. Be proactive and beat the butts. Make sure you're buying a non-smoking home.
- American Society of Home Inspectors. "Existing State Home Inspector Regulatory Legislation." Undated. (3/16/11).http://www.ashi.org/customers/state.asp
- American Society of Home Inspectors. "Frequently Asked Questions on Home Inspections." Undated. (3/16/11).http://www.ashi.org/customers/faq.asp
- AmeriSpec. "Home Inspection - Frequently Asked Questions." Undated. (3/16/11).http://www.homeinspectionnw.com/faq.php
- Frugal Dad. 'How to Buy a Foreclosed Home." Undated. (3/16/11).http://frugaldad.com/2010/05/24/how-to-buy-a-foreclosed-home/
- Miller, Thomas H. "Septic Systems and Their Maintenance." University of Maryland. 4/6/07. (3/16/11).http://extension.umd.edu/environment/Water/files/septic.html
- Quit Smoking Support. "What's in a Cigarette?" Undated. (3/16/11).http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/whatsinit.htm
- Saving Advice. "Home Inspection - Why You Need One." 3/27/07. (3/16/11).http://www.savingadvice.com/forums/home-mortgage/27037-home-inspection-why-you-need-one.htm
- Scherzer, Lisa and Michelle Andrews. "10 Things Home Inspectors Won't Say." Smart Money. Undated. (3/16/11).http://www.smartmoney.com/spending/rip-offs/10-things-home-inspectors-wont-tell-you/
Most homeowners insurance won't cover your home if you're renting it via sites like Airbnb. HowStuffWorks looks at insurance policies that will.