10 Tips for Changing Your Address When You Move

Let the Post Office Know

When you move, it's important to let the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) know. You can do that in one of three ways:

  • Submit your address change via the Internet. You will need a valid e-mail address to receive the USPS confirmation, and a credit or debit card. To safeguard your personal information, the post office electronically verifies the information you enter with the bank that issued your credit or debit card. The card billing address must match the address you are moving from or to. A $1 verification fee pays for a USPS contractor to provide this verification.
  • Complete a change of address by phone -- 1-800-ASK-USPS. The same identity verification is done when you call 1-800-ASK-USPS, so be sure to have a credit or debit card handy.
  • Fill out Form 3575, the official mail forwarding change of address order. You can get the form from your post office or print it from the USPS Web site. You should complete and mail it to the address on the card two weeks before your move. Mailing will save you $1 since identity verification is not needed.

After you file the change, you can expect a move validation letter to arrive at your old address, unless you've already moved. In addition, seven to 10 days after your COA effective date, a confirmation letter will be sent to your new address, as well as a welcome kit, which contains helpful information, a community guide, special offers and coupons.