10 Tips for Changing Your Address When You Move

Remember Uncle Sam
Rest assured, he's not going to forget you.
Rest assured, he's not going to forget you.

If you don't receive mail from government agencies on a regular basis, they might be easy to overlook when sending out change of address notifications.

You'll want to notify the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of your address change, particularly if you are expecting a tax refund. You can do this by downloading Form 8822 from their Web site and mailing it to the address shown. You can also write to the IRS center where you filed your last return, providing your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security number and signature. Or simply write your new address on your tax return the next time you file. If you file jointly, the IRS will need the information and signatures of both you and your spouse. If you and your spouse have since established separate residences, you both need to notify the IRS.

Don't miss out on receiving your disability, retirement or survivor benefits. Visit the Social Security Administration Web site to provide your complete new address, including zip code, and a phone number where you can be contacted.

Whether or not you are moving out of state, be sure to change the address on your driver's license, as it is often used for identification. You'll also want to change the address on your vehicle registration and check with the state's election office to update your voter registration records. These changes can most likely be done by mail or online. Check your state's Web site for information on their process.