As far as colors go, green sometimes gets lost in the shuffle. Too dark, and it seems blue or brown. Too light, and it might seem yellow. But in the middle of these extremes lies a versatile color that can help bring out the best in several design scenarios [source: Better Homes and Gardens].
Much like yellow, green in its lighter shades can bring a cheery, country coziness to a room with white trim. Pairing a green accent wall and decor items with a room that's mostly white can create a playful atmosphere that's perfect for a children's room. In its deeper shades, green is an excellent complement to natural-finished cabinetry; the combinations of wood stain and green hues are nearly endless. If you choose the right colors, your cabinets will glow with radiant warmth that invites visitors into a kitchen or cozy sitting room [source: Demesne].
Deep green can be extremely elegant, but it's best used sparingly in a house for sale. A dark green accent can add warmth to a tile backsplash, but too much deep green has the same dark, den-like effect as too much dark brown in a room. If a space could work with a darker green accent, consider a hue that has some blue in it: Blue-green shades can have a calming effect similar to shades of purer blue [source: Demesne].
For more information on real estate and selling your home, check out the links below.
- Accent Realty. "Coffee Colors Throughout the Home." Oct. 18, 2010. (Jan. 13, 2012). http://www.accentrealtyltd.com/tag/paint-colors-to-sell-your-home/
- Arieff, Irwin. "Bold-Color Kitchen Makeover." This Old House. (Jan. 13, 2012). http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20314260_20693439,00.html
- Artsparx.com. "Creating Color Schemes." (Jan. 12, 2012). www.artsparx.com/colorsforinteriors.asp
- Better Homes and Gardens. "What's the Magic Color for Selling Your House?" (Feb. 19, 2011) http://www.bhgrealestate.com/Live/Make-Over/Color/What-s-the-Magic-Color-for-Selling-Your-House-.html
- Burns, Jo. "The Best-Selling Exterior House Colors." San Francisco Chronicle. (Jan. 11, 2012). http://homeguides.sfgate.com/best-selling-exterior-house-colors-3180.html
- Demesne. "Choosing Interior Color." 2010. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www.demesne.info/Improve-Your-Home/Choosing-Interior-Color.htm
- Furniture & Design Ideas. "Interior Paint Colors." July 25, 2009. (Feb. 20, 2011)http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com/how-to-diy-furniture/interior-paint-colors/
- Gillette, J. Michael. "Theatrical Design and Production." Third Edition. Mayfield Publishing Company. 1987.
- Gulliksen, Josie. "Interior Paint Colors That Help Sell Your House." AOL Real Estate. July 15, 2010. http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2010/07/15/sell-your-home-with-these-paint-colors/
- Kenderdine, Anne. "Neutral paint colors help homes sell faster." AZCentral.com. May 20, 2009. (Feb. 12, 2011) http://www.azcentral.com/style/hfe/decor/articles/2009/05/20/20090520neutrals.html
- Vila, Bob and Howard, Hugh. "How to Select a Paint Color." Bob Vila.com. (Jan. 12, 2012). http://www.bobvila.com/articles/367-how-to-select-a-paint-color/pages/1
- Waller, Ed and Oliver, Budda. "Tips for Choosing Exterior Paint Colors." House Paint Color Schemes. (Jan. 12, 2012). http://www.housepaintcolorschemes.com/howto/exterior-paint-colors-tips
HowStuffWorks look at the legal steps you need to take to evict a guest who has overstayed their welcome.