Lots More Information
Green Roofs And White Roofs: Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy. Keep reading to learn about Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy.
Author's Note: Top 10 Green Technologies for the Home
I am a stickler for conserving energy and water in our house, so researching this article was sort of like a dream shopping trip for me. I'm constantly turning off lights in rooms we aren't using and unplugging "wall warts" -- cell phone chargers and other small energy vampires -- from the outlets in our house. My husband may or may not sometimes call me "energy cop." Of course, I know that this comes from a place of love.
Our home doesn't have any fancy alternative energy-saving gadgets or monitoring gizmos right now, but my dream home would definitely be decked out with all of the green home technology in this list! For now, my husband and I have opted for more DIY energy- and water-saving solutions. He and his dad installed a pair of rain barrels to water our garden, and we've got smart power strips in pretty much every room of the house. I'm so nerdy about green technology that I called my mom the day we replaced our existing toilet with a dual flush.
- How Smart Windows Work
- 10 Technologies Used in Green Construction
- What's the oldest green home in America?
- 10 Eco-friendly Home Construction Options for Any Budget
- Budget-friendly Ways to Green Your Home
- 10 Historic Green Homes
- Top 10 Ways to Make Your New Home Green
- Top 10 Green Heating and Cooling Technologies
- Which are better for the environment, geothermal heating systems or geothermal cooling systems?
- Bottero, Kiva. "How to Pick the Riht Wind Turbine for Your Property." Wind Power Authority. December 30, 2011. (April 17, 2012) http://windpowerauthority.com/how-to-pick-the-right-wind-turbine/
- Consumer Energy Center. "Central HVAC." California Energy Commission. (April 2, 2012) http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/heating_cooling/heating_cooling.html
- Ellis, Michael. "Home Energy Management Takes Center Stage at CES 2012." Greenbiz.com. Jan 17, 2012. (April 2, 2012) http://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2012/01/17/home-energy-management-takes-center-stage-ces-2012
- The Energy Conscious. "Dual Flush Technology" (April 17, 2012) http://www.theenergyconscious.com/duflbasa.html
- Energy Savers. "Benefits of Geothermal Heat Pump Systems." U.S. Department of Energy. February 9, 2011. (April 2, 2012) http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/space_heating_cooling/index.cfm/mytopic=12660
- Energy Star. "Heat & Cool Efficiently." U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. (April 2, 2012) http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=heat_cool.pr_hvac
- Energy Star. "Refrigerators for Consumers." U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. (April 2, 2012) http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=about.ab_index
- Energy Star. "Which programmable thermostat is right for me?" U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. (April 2, 2012) http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=thermostats.pr_thermostats_features
- General Electric. "nucleus." (April 2, 2012) http://www.geappliances.com/home-energy-manager/
- Liscano, Miguel. "Rooftop solar, backyard wind turbines catching on in the suburbs." Statesman.com. July 3, 2011. (April 2, 2012) http://www.statesman.com/news/local/rooftop-solar-backyard-wind-turbines-catching-on-in-1579685.html
- Marques, Lance. "How to Install a Programmable Thermostat." (April 2, 2012) http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20339398,00.html
- Pandolfi, Keith. "Solar Shingles." This Old House. (April 2, 2012) http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,1205726,00.html
- Reichman, Trevor. "Trusty Old Robots vs. Energy Star Appliances." Treehugger. July 26, 2009. (April 2, 2012) http://www.treehugger.com/culture/trusty-old-robots-vs-energy-star-appliances.html
- Roberts, Jeanne. "GE Home Energy Monitor Goes it Alone." Earth Techling. March 15, 2012. (April 2, 2012) http://www.earthtechling.com/2012/03/ge-home-energy-monitor-goes-it-alone/
- Shahan, Zachary. "Over 70% of Calufornians Go Solar Using a Service (Don't Buy Their Solar Power Systems)" CleanTechnica. March 28, 2012. (April 2, 2012) http://cleantechnica.com/2012/03/28/over-70-of-californians-go-solar-using-a-service-dont-buy-their-solar-power-systems/
- U.S. Energy Information Administration. "How is electricity used in U.S. homes?" February 22, 2012. (April 2, 2012) http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=96&t=3
- WaterSense. "Indoor Water Use in the United States." (April 2, 2012) http://www.epa.gov/WaterSense/pubs/indoor.html