Iron and Steel
Once man started building up instead of out, stronger building materials became necessary to support taller structures. And tall buildings place a lot of weight on load-bearing walls; some sort of support framework was needed to carry the load.
We can see here that steel has a dual role in our builder's toolkit. It can be embedded in concrete to provide support or become a foundation in itself. Steel can easily be prefabricated to make for a fast and easy installation. It can be welded, bolted or riveted in place. It can be up to 100 percent recyclable, too, which is important with newer green building practices. Steel is a relatively economical commercial building choice which is making inroads in residential construction, as well.
The advent of steel technology that allows man to design and build taller structures has changed the face of architecture and expanded the way we find creative solutions to our building challenges.
On the next page, you'll find lots more information about building and architecture.
- Balogh, Anne. "What Makes Concrete a Sustainable Building Material." Undated. 3/4/09.http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/greenbuildinginformation/what_makes.html
- Bellis, Mary. " The History of Concrete and Cement." Undated. 3/4/09.http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blconcrete.htm
- Castleden, Rodney. "Inventions That Changed the World." Chartwell Books, Inc. 2007
- Castleden, Rodney. "Events That Changed the World. Time Warner Books. 2005
- Craven, Jackie. "Viking Log Homes." Undated. 3/4/09.http://architecture.about.com/od/countriescultures/ig/Russia-Architecture/Novgrad.htm
- CWC. "Wood's Heritage." 6/08. 3/2/09.http://www.cwc.ca/DesignWithWood/Durability/Wood%20Heritage/?Language=EN
- CWC. "Advantages of Wood." 8/2/07. 3/2/09.http://www.cwc.ca/DesignWithWood/Durability/Wood%20Heritage/Wood%20Advantages?Language=EN
- CWC. "Durability Hazards of Wood." 8/2/07. 3/2/09.http://www.cwc.ca/DesignWithWood/Durability/Durability%20Hazards/?Language=EN
- Encyclopedia Britannica. "Architecture." Undated. 2/22/09.http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/32876/architecture
- Encyclopedia Britannica. "Brick and Tile." Undated. 2/22/09.http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/79195/brick
- Encyclopedia Britannica. "Building Construction." Undated. 2/22/09.http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/83859/building-construction/59318/The-second-industrial-age#ref=ref260154
- Encyclopedia Britannica. "Ishtar Gate." Undated. 3/5/09.http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/295381/Ishtar-Gate
- EuroCopper.com. "Copper in Architecture." Undated. 2/21/09.http://www.eurocopper.org/doc/uploaded/PK%20Copper%20Architecture%20Berlin%20EN%20final.pdf
- Glasssteelandstone.com. "The Taj Mahal." Undated. 3/5/09.http://www.glasssteelandstone.com/BuildingDetail/141.php
- Hvistendahl, Mara. "Is China's Great Wall Visible from Space?" 2/21/08.3/1/09.http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=is-chinas-great-wall-visible-from-space
- Jeney, András Megyesi, "Ground of Sun-Dried Brick Construction." 12/10/03. 3/5/09.http://www.pp.bme.hu/ci/2003_1/pdf/ci2003_1_20.pdf
- Luminarium. "The Great Fire of London." Undated. 3/4/09.http://www.luminarium.org/encyclopedia/greatfire.htm
- Materials, Science and Technology. "History of Concrete - A Timeline." Undated 3/5/09.http://matse1.mse.uiuc.edu/concrete/hist.html
- McIvor, Alastair "What are Stone Circles." Undated. 3/5/09.http://www.geocities.com/athens/parthenon/6197/gen.htm
- Pirozzolo, Dick. "Log Home FAQs." Undated. 2/22/09.http://architecture.about.com/cs/buildyourhouse/a/aboutlogcabins_2.htm
CarbonCure is trying to mitigate the negative environmental impact of concrete by capturing and using CO2 emissions in the concrete itself.