Lots More Information
Author's Note: How Motion-Activated Screwdrivers Work
My dad owned one of the first Black & Decker electric screwdrivers, and I distinctly remember playing with it as a kid. It was one of the very first battery-powered screwdrivers, and thus, not very powerful, but it helped to usher in a new age of powered tools. The same might very well happen with the GYRO. It's easy to imagine high-powered drills, saws and other implements with gyroscopes, which could make them more intuitive to use, and as a result, even more useful and convenient than they already are.
- Aguilar, Mario. "Motion-Activated Electric Screwdriver Anticipates Your Movements Before You Make Them." Gizmodo.com. Aug. 16, 2012. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://gizmodo.com/5935375/motion+activated-electric-screwdriver-anticipates-your-movements-before-you-make-them
- Alfred, Randy. "July 7, 1936: Get a Grip – Phillips Screws up the Toolbox." Wired.com. Jul. 7, 2007. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2011/07/0707phillips-screw-patent/
- Bastyr, Connie. History of Screws and Screwdrivers." Handymanclub. Sep. 19, 2012.
- Black & Decker press release. "Black & Decker Introduces the GYRO Screwdriver, the World's First Motion-Activated Screwdriver that Controls Variable Speed and Direction." Blackanddeckermediakit.com. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://blackanddeckermediakit.com/power-tools-accessories/black-decker-introduces-the-gyro-screwdriver-the-worlds-first-motion-activated-screwdriver-that-controls-variable-speed-and-direction-2/
- Black & Decker product page. "Gyro." Blackanddecker.com. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://blackanddecker.com/gyro
- Business Wire. "Groundbreaking Applicationi for Invensense Gyro in World's First Motion-Activated Screwdriver from Black & Decker." Thestreet.com. Aug. 15, 2012. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://www.thestreet.com/story/11664670/1/groundbreaking-application-for-invensense174-gyro160in-world8217s-first-motion-activated-screwdriver-from-black-amp-decker.html
- Chen, Andy. "Black & Decker 4V Max Gyro Screwdriver Review." The-gadgeteer.com. Oct. 24, 2012. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://the-gadgeteer.com/2012/10/24/black-and-decker-4v-max-gyro-screwdriver-review/
- Dent, Steve. "Black & Decker Screwdriver Senses Your Hand Movement to Adjust Speed, Direction." Engadget.com. Aug. 16, 2012. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/black-and-decker-screwdriver-senses-motion/
- InvenSense product page. "ISZ-650 Integrated Dual-Axis Gyroscope." InvenSense.com. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://invensense.com/mems/gyro/isz650.html
- Rubio, Justin. "Black & Decker's Motion-Activated Screwdriver Replaces Elbow Grease with a Gyro." Theverge.com. Aug. 15, 2012. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/15/3244425/black-and-decker-gyro-4v-max-invensense
- Sawyer, Harry. "Black & Decker Gyro Review: Sounds Like a Gimmick, Screws Like a Champ." Gizmodo.com. Oct. 8, 2012. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://gizmodo.com/5949958/black--decker-gyro-screwdriver-review-sounds-like-a-gimmick-screws-like-a-champ
- Time. "Best Inventions of the Year 2012." Techland.time.com. Nov. 1, 2012. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://techland.time.com/2012/11/01/best-inventions-of-the-year-2012/slide/the-motion-activated-screwdriver/