When to Use Infrared Heaters
Infrared heaters do provide direct cost-efficient heating, but that doesn't mean you should forego central heating. Infrared heaters generally aren't meant to heat your entire home.
Instead, you're most likely to find infrared heating technologies in large spaces that must counteract frequent loss of heat, such as warehouses, garages and airplane hangars. These spaces often have large doors or other cavities that are opened and closed often. Infrared heat works well to keep these areas from cooling too much.
You're also likely to find them along production lines in factories, but infrared heaters aren't reserved for industrial sites and cavernous areas. Because of their ability to focus heat on objects and not just pump hot air into a room, they're useful in home construction or improvement projects, such as helping paint dry. Anytime direct heat is needed, infrared heat may be the answer.
You might even find infrared heaters in use at your local gym or spa -- infrared saunas are beginning to grow in popularity. New technology directs infrared rays toward bodies, warming them in a similar fashion as the sun's rays would, but without the UV rays. Saunas of the past relied on traditional methods of producing large quantities of heat to first warm the air and then the bodies in the sauna. Infrared heat skips the air and directly heats bodies far more efficiently.
For more helpful information, be sure to check out the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Alabama Power. "Electric Infrared Heaters." (Accessed 3/2/09) http://www.alabamapower.com/architect/ired.asp
- Associated Content. "Can an Infrared Heater Cause Cancer?" (Accessed 3/2/09) http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1479478/can_an_infrared_heater_cause_cancer_pg2.html?cat=5
- Center Point Energy. "Infrared Heaters (Minnesota)." (Accessed 3/2/09) http://www.centerpointenergy.com/services/naturalgas/business/rebatesforbusiness/infraredheaters/MN/
- Gatton, Bill. "How to Find the Best Far Infrared Heaters." (Accessed 3/2/09) http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Find-the-Best-Far-Infrared-Heaters&id=1848335
- Global Spec. "About Infrared Heaters." (Accessed 3/02/09) http://process-equipment.globalspec.com/LearnMore/Manufacturing_Processing/Industrial_Heaters/Infrared_Heaters
- Heater Shop. "Infrared Heaters." (Accessed 3/2/09) http://www.heatershop.com/infrared_heaters.html
- IQS Directory. "Infrared Heaters." (Accessed 3/2/09) http://www.iqsdirectory.com/infrared-heaters/
- Ramson Solutions. "ComfortZone Infrared Heaters." (Accessed 3/2/09) http://www.ramsonsolutions.com/specs.php
- Sage Journals Online. "Effect of Thermal Comfort/Discomfort due to Infrared Heaters Installed at Workplaces in Industrial Buildings." (Accessed 3/2/09) http://ibe.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/9/3-4/148
- Tools For Wellness. "Far Infrared Heater." (Accessed 3/23/09) http://www.toolsforwellness.com/81062.html
- True Green Technologies. "Frequently Asked Questions." (Accessed 3/2/09) http://www.truegreeninfraredheaters.com/faqs.html
- Wasch, Adam. "The story behind infrared heaters." (Accessed 3/2/09) http://www.newsminer.com/news/2009/jan/22/story-behind-infrared-heaters/