This one is not a question of being lazy or crunched for time: Trying to remove mold could be hazardous to your health. Sure, you can wipe up minor shower mold fairly easily, but if there's a moldy area larger than 10 square feet -- especially if it's the toxic greenish-black kind -- you should back away from it slowly and get on the phone with a professional mold cleaner ASAP. The pros will thoroughly inspect the area, clean it and make sure the mold doesn't return.
- DIY Network. "How to Maintain a Fireplace and Chimney." (May 28, 2012) http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-maintain-a-fireplace-and-chimney/index.html
- Forte, Carolyn. "3 Spring-Cleaning Chores to Leave to the Pros." Good Housekeeping. May 5, 2012. (May 28, 2012) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-reviews/research-institute/spring-cleaning-chores-to-hire-out
- HGTV. "How to Clean Blinds." (May 28, 2012) http://www.hgtv.com/organizing/how-to-clean-blinds/index.html
- State Farm. "Chimney and Wood-Burning Fireplace Safety." Feb. 2, 2011. (May 28, 2012) http://learningcenter.statefarm.com/safety-2/home-1/chimney-and-woodburning-fireplace-safety/
- Stebbins, Sarah. "The Worst Cleaning Jobs Made Easy." Real Simple. (May 28, 2012) http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/worst-cleaning-jobs-made-easy-00000000032847/index.html
- United States Environmental Protection Agency. "Should You Have the Air Ducts in Your Home Cleaned?" (May 28, 2012) http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/airduct.html
- Villela, John. "Homeowner Maintenance: Twice-Annual Gutter Cleaning." All Pro Home Inspection, Oct. 12, 2010. (May 28, 2012) http://www.buffalohomeinspectorblog.com/how-to-clean-gutters/
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services. "Mold in Your Home: Cleaning Options." (May 28, 2012) http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/eh/hlthhaz/fs/moldclean.htm
Those worn but loved sneaks can look almost new with a few cleaning tips we got from a pro.