If you have fabrics with tea stains, don't despair. As long as you didn't burn yourself when you spilled the mug, there's nothing to worry about. First things first – as soon as possible, rinse the stain with cold water. Don't forget to run the water from the back of the stain, rather than over top of it! This helps it to come out the side it came in, rather than pushing it all the way through the material. Next, grab any old liquid detergent and rub it into the stain. Let stand for a minimum of five minutes. Dried stains should be soaked in cold water (with detergent applied) for about 30 minutes. Then, rinse the stain.
Yet another trick is to treat wet tea stains with a generous amount of baking soda. Ideally, the powder will pull the color out of the clothing! Then, launder as normal [source: Aguirre].
See? No need to cry over spilled tea.
Last editorial update on Aug 2, 2018 05:03:12 pm.
- 101 Old-Time Country Household Hints," © 2008 Publications International, Ltd.
- Aguirre, Sarah. "How to Quickly Remove Tea Stains From Clothing, Carpet and Mugs." The Spruce. April 13, 2018 (Aug. 1, 2018) https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-remove-tea-stains-1901022
- Baker, Jerry. "Ax Grass Stains and 5 Other Ways Toothpaste Brightens Your Day." Jerry Baker – America's Master Gardener. 2018 (Aug. 1, 2018) https://www.jerrybaker.com/information/newsletter/2012/0612/0612_5
- Dr. Laundry. "Stained Pillowcases from Oily Hair." Clorox. 2018 (Aug. 2, 2018) https://www.clorox.com/how-to/bodily-fluid-stains/body-soil-stains/stained-pillow-cases-oily-hair/
- Gibbs, Karen B. "How to Remove Lipstick Stains from Clothes, Upholstery and Carpet." Today.com. Feb. 22, 2017 (Aug. 1, 2018) https://www.today.com/home/how-remove-lipstick-stains-t108129
- Kerr, Jolie. "Here's How to Never Worry About Grease Stains Again." April 8, 2016 (Aug. 1, 2018) https://www.esquire.com/style/advice/a43771/grease-stains/
- Leverette, Mary Marlowe. "Office Emergency Stain Removal Kit for Clothes." The Spruce. June 5, 2018 (Aug. 1, 2018). https://www.thespruce.com/office-emergency-stain-removal-kit-2147143
- Real Simple. "How to Remove a Red Wine Stain." 2018 (Aug. 1, 2018) https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/cleaning-stain-removal/remove-red-wine-stain
- SFGate. "How to Get Grease Out of Pillowcases." 2018 (Aug. 1, 2018) https://homeguides.sfgate.com/grease-out-pillowcases-74875.html
- Shea, Taylor. "8 Common Items That Remove Blood Stains." Reader's Digest. 2018 (Aug. 1, 2018) https://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/how-to-remove-blood-stains/
- Smith, Lauren. "How to Get Ink Out of Clothes." Good Housekeeping. Nov. 13, 2017 (Aug. 1, 2018) https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/tips/a24006/removing-ink-stains/
- Taylor, James. "Best Tips on How to Clean Shirt Collars." The Shirt Collar. Nov. 24, 2015 (Aug. 1, 2018) http://theshirtcollar.com/best-tips-on-how-to-clean-shirt-collars/
There are thousands of reported uses for WD-40, an aerosol lubricant that's as handy as duct tape. We look at 12 of the more creative ones we've found.