If you're not dealing with a heavy-duty germ situation and just generally want to get your house clean, then soap and water is the original eco-friendly cleaner. Soap provides a lather that's able to mix oil and water together in a way that attracts and suspends dirt so that it can be rinsed away. So a bucket full of hot, soapy water is always you best bet for cleaning floors, countertops and other household surfaces.
- "5 Best Baking Soda and Vinegar Cleaning Solutions." Rd.com. July 2, 2012. http://www.rd.com/slideshows/5-best-baking-soda-and-vinegar-cleaning-solutions/
- Bond, Annie B. "5 Basics for Non-Toxic Cleaning." Care2.com. July 2, 2012. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/five-basics-for-nontoxic-cleaning.html#ixzz1zVZdhg3l
- Bond, Annie B. "5 Smart Housekeeping Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil." Care2.com. May 11, 2002. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/tea-tree-oil-home-uses.html
- "How to Disinfect Your Home -- Naturally." Dailyspark.com. July 2, 2012. http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=how_to_disinfect_your_home_naturally
- Main, Emily. "This or That: Bleach vs Vinegar to Kill Germs." Rodale.com. July 2, 2012.http://www.rodale.com/natural-disinfectant
- "Natural Carpet Deodorizer with Borax and Baking Soda." Getgreenliving.com. November 28, 2010. http://www.getgreenliving.com/natural-carpet-deodorizer-with-borax-and-baking-soda/
- "Natural Remedies for Disinfecting Your Kitchen of Common Germs & Bacteria." Globalhealingcenter.com. March 12, 2009. http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/natural-remedies-for-disinfecting-your-kitchen-of-germs/
- "Natural Stain Remover & Cleaning Agent: Hydrogen Peroxide!" passionatehomemaking.com. April 29, 2009. http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2009/04/natural-stain-remover-cleaning-agent-hydrogen-peroxide.html
- "Safe Cleaning Tips for Your Home." Ewg.org. July 2, 2012. http://www.ewg.org/schoolcleaningsupplies/safecleaningtips
- "Soap v Detergent." Thesustainableattorney.com. February 1, 2012. http://thesustainableattorney.com/2012/02/746/
- "The Natural Way To Clean Everything In Your House." Thegoodhuman.com. November 5, 2007. http://thegoodhuman.com/2007/11/05/the-natural-way-to-clean-everything-in-your-house/
HowStuffWorks gives advice on how to unshrink clothes.