Granite Countertops: Pros and Cons
Like many things, granite countertops have their advantages and disadvantages.
- Granite countertops don't depreciate in value.
- It's a one-of-a-kind, natural surface that has an almost luminous look.
- Granite adds value to your home.
- It's sanitary — granite is naturally resistant to bacteria.
- Formed by heat and pressure, it can take the heat of a pan.
- It's easy to clean with warm water and mild detergent.
- Granite countertops last forever. If you get tired of the color, you'll either need to learn to live with it or rip out the entire counter, because you can't change the color.
- Each slab of granite is different, so it may not be a good choice if you prefer a completely uniform look.
- Granite itself is expensive, and the labor-intensive installation can run three times more than the cost of the material.
- Granite can be permanently stained if you seal it with a preexisting stain.
- It can crack when hit by a hard, sharp object like a meat cleaver.
- Because it's so heavy, granite often requires additional structural support with spans and cantilevers.
- Once glued onto the cabinets, granite is quite difficult to remove, and may result in damage to the cabinets.
Now that you've read about how to install, cut and seal granite countertops, as well as granite's pros and cons, you might want a few more details before you begin your project. To learn more, visit some of the Web sites on the following page.
- Carter, Tim. "Granite Countertop Stains." Ask the Builder. (Accessed 12/14/08) http://www.askthebuilder.com/N8_Granite_Countertop_Stains.shtml
- Everlife Memorials. "Choosing a Headstone for a Family Member." (12/16/08) http://www.everlifememorials.com/v/headstones/choosing-headstone.htm
- HGTV. "How to Install Your Own Granite Countertops" (June 26, 2023) https://www.hgtv.com/design/rooms/kitchens/how-to-install-a-granite-kitchen-countertop
- Marblemaster. "Granite Countertops Frequently Asked Questions." Feb. 16, 2007. (Accessed 12/15/08) http://www.marblemaster.com/granite/granite_slab/faq.html
- Natural Stone Institute. "Statement of Position on Sealing Natural Stone Countertops." (June 27, 2023) https://www.naturalstoneinstitute.org/consumers/sealing-stone/Countertops." Consumer Resources. (Accessed 12/14/08)
- Perry, Christin and Allen, Samantha. "How Much Do Granite Countertops Cost in 2023?" Fortune. May 8, 2023 (June 26, 2023) https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/kitchen/granite-countertops-cost/
- Solid Design. "How much does granite weigh?" (June 26, 2023) http://sdfgranite.com/Weight%20of%20granite.htm
- Walton, Larry. "Installing Granite Countertops." Extreme How To. (June 26, 2023) https://extremehowto.com/installing-granite-countertops/