Finishing Laminate Flooring Installations
Finishing up your laminate flooring can be difficult, as there are numerous small cuts and trims that have to be taken care of. Be sure to be patient and take your time -- you didn't go through all this work just to mess up the installation at the end.
If the installation required putting down an underlayer that extended several inches up along the walls, cut the underlayer even with the top of the floor. Then, remove all spacers. Install the wall base or quarter round molding. This will cover that a quarter-inch (.6 cm) expansion zone around the perimeter. It's very important that the trim is attached to the walls or the subfloor, not the laminate floor, so that the floor can move as humidity dictates.
Next, install the trim track on the subfloor where needed. You can glue or nail this to the subfloor, and it serves the purpose of holding trim and transition elements in place. Then, install trim pieces that will finish the transitions to other rooms. T-molding is used to cover the space where two floors meet in a doorway. Manufacturers will also offer finishing pieces that are designed to transitions the laminate flooring to another floor, say tiled or carpeted floor. End molding finishes the laminate flooring at sliding doors or other areas.
Lastly, use a vacuum or damp mop to clean up the area. If the installation involved glue and tape, buff with a dry towel to remove any film left from the glue or tape.
Now you're ready to enjoy your brand-new floor. To learn more, visit the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Armstrong. "Laminate Flooring." Armstrong Company Corporation. (Accessed 02/19/2009) http://www.armstrong.com/content2/resam/files/32613.pdf
- Armstrong. "Laminate Flooring Installation Instructions." Lowes link. (Accessed 03/02/2009) www.loweslink.com/pubdocuments/Armstrong%20Laminate%20Flooring%20Installation.pdf
- Book of Knowledge. "New Zealand." The New Book of Knowledge. Published 1994, Grolier.
- Couvreur, Julien. "Laminate Floor Installation 101." Curiosity is Bliss Blog. (Accessed 02/19/2009) http://blog.monstuff.com/archives/000219.html
- Do It Yourself. "Laminate Flooring Construction Information." Do it Yourself.com. (Accessed 02/19/2009)http://www.doityourself.com/stry/laminatefloorconstru
- Flooring and Carpets. "How to Install Laminate Flooring." Flooring and Carpets.com (Accessed 02/19/2009). http://www.flooringandcarpets.com/how-to-install-laminate-flooring.html
- Pergo. "Pergo Installationg Essentials Guide For Laminate Flooring." Pergo LLC. (Accessed 02/23/2009) http://na.pergo.com/Images/how_to/Install_Essentials_Guide.pdf
- Quick-Step. "Quick-Step Laminate Floors." Quick-Step Product Brochure. Published 2005 by Unilin Flooring. http://www.quick-step.com